A PR Pro friend of mine just shared this with me this morning. I have not received permission to cross-post the blogpost here. It is a must-read.
SearsKilledMyDog.com: The Anatomy of a Social Media Nightmare Avert...
Toot - Social Media Junkyard Dog RIP 2009
From: Steve Farnsworth's Digital Marketing Mercenary Blog
You are the social media strategist for Sears Hometown Stores. It’s Friday, the end of a long day, at the end of a long week. You are ready for a refreshing and well deserved cocktail to start your weekend. Heck, maybe two.
You make one last pass at your social media listening dashboard before you head out the door, and you come across your worst nightmare:
* A picture of a cute little dog named Toot.
* A story about a tragic accident where your delivery truck runs over and kills Toot.
* Details about how a local representative of your company apologized, but then went on to tell the distraught pet owners it was not his delivery guy’s fault, but theirs. It keeps getting better. He tells this to them not just once, but on two separate occasions.
* All this is on a website called, and here is where your heart skips a beat and your blood runs cold, SearsKilledMyDog.com.
* And oh, it’s blowing-up on Reddit, Twitter, and the Internet at large.
You are Shaunak Dave, the director, multi-channel integration for Sears Hometown Stores. That well deserved cocktail is going to have to wait …and you might want to remember to breathe again.
Go to the article by clicking here.
I'm not copying the rest of this into here - you'll have to go read it on his site.