I had an awesome night last night... I met GARY VAYNERCHUK from WineLibraryTV.com.

We had a small group discussion which lasted for a total of 5 hrs or so. The guy is amazing (and crazy).

Anyway, the reason I'm writing is that Judy Asman and I are putting together a teleseminar series for Restaurant Revolution and are looking for SPECIFIC questions that you as a restaurant/foodie person might have.

Got a question for Mr WineLibrary himself? Please share below and I'll try to accommodate.

THANKS

Tags: gary, library, restaurant, revolution, teleseminar, vaynerchuk, wine, winelibarary

Views: 11

Replies to This Discussion

I would have a gazillion questions for him. But for starters, what were his first steps in developing his Web strategy and, then, how did he begin attracting attention to his site?
Judy - I can tell you that it was a very slow process. Mind you, he's done over 450 episodes of WineLibraryTV! For the first 2-3 years it was a struggle, but he kept doing it because of his passion for the topic, and he knew that it would EVENTUALLY go where he wanted it to.

Good thing he kept with it, now he's managed by the same agent as Brad Pitt!

Gary was at SXSW all last week and is now traveling abroad. This episode of the teleseminar is "officially" postponed for now...
Homeboy Vaynerchuk is no doubt busy. Thanks for your response.

Good for his agent for signing him and therefore having a back-up for "Has-Been" Pitt.

Woops. Did I say that out loud?
Nathan,

All I can say is don't judge a book by its cover, Most people in NY do not have the same oppinion as you do of him.

you think he is try to get he message out about wine but his detractors (their are a lot more than the ones who think positive about him) think its an ego trip to become a star.

enough said.
Alex, I find that very interesting, considering the amount of value, content and heart he puts into what he does.

Do the naysayers have more to complain about other than him being loud/obnoxious?

He never says "I'm right, you're wrong" - instead there's the message of "Trust Your Pal[ette]". After meeting him in person... and talking for about 5 hrs... I don't know how anyone can say he's looking for more than getting the message out about his passion.
Alex, I'm not the least bit surprised there are Vaynerchuk cynics, and possibly people who think his "celebrity" is out of proportion to his wine expertise. Emeril Legasse has dealt with similar criticisms by chefs as did (or does) Rachael Ray.

"Fame-ness" does tend to be the Achilles heel for food/wine types, or people of any industry/craft for that matter.

For our teleseminar audience, I really think people can learn how Vaynerchuk managed to get the word out about his online program, regardless of where they stand on his wine knowledge, opinions or his approach.
I understand the thought process behind what you say, I do not think anyone in the area of NY or NJ considers him famous. If you ask anyone in the business in NY they 90% never heard of him. but that is not the issue, I have met and spoken with gary on various occasions for long periods of time, i will say that he is very passionate about wine and about wine knowledge but my comment is about wine library TV.

Wine Library is one of the large retail players in NJ (a state that has more BYOB restaurants than ones with liquor licenses) but the NJ market is not a stage for fame and recognition. GAry lives in manhattan and commutes to NJ everyday, but his home is NYC. In NY some people get in their heads that they are important enough to get reservations at any of the restaurant they wish to go ( a few can most can't) Gary has repeatedly asked people in the industry to hook him up for reservations and walked in acting like a superstar, so much so that most of the operations people will not do it anymore. I have personnaly had to speak to a General Manager and apologize for his attitude while dinning in the restaurant (THIS IS A FACT). Gary has commented on various occasions that he cannot believe he has no pull in NYC (this is a fact). He has commented that winelibrary TV will put him on the map and get him the recognition he deserves (this is a fact).

So if we are talking about love of wine and knowledge he definetly has it, but where I disagree with Nathan is that he did not create winelibrary TV to reach to the masses but to self promote himself only this type of person would hire an agent like brad pitts.

in reference to teleseminars,

the winelibrary model is the same as Gary's wine and market place, joe canals, etc.. in NJ they are all based on predator style pricing with a focus on internet business. the first 2 do about 50% of their business conecting to sites like wine access and wine searcher. These companies have a philosophy of lost leaders like the mcdonalds dollar menu. Don't get me wrong as a consumer I love it. an example was when WS put insignia as the #1 wine of the year these stores where selling it at $89 (2 dollars above cost) in order to get people to come back time and again and order the house brands.

NJ unlike most states allows the retail stores to create a Cooperative for buying wines, the smaller stores band together as a group and buy direct from producers in europe, with their own labels, the mark up on these wines is astronomical because no one else carries them. the lost leaders brings in the consumer to the site and then they buy the house brands which are always positioned around the $12 to $19 price point.

Can this work for other states, NO it cannot. A teleseminar should be something that the viewers can take and reproduce wherever they are otherwise it is an excersise of self promotion. Can the wine library model be reproduced outside of NJ, the answer is no.
Thanks for the lengthy reply, Alex. I hear where you're coming from and understand that my only perception of him is from his marketing and promotion online and at the seminar I recently attended.

In regards to the teleseminar - the content is ENTIRELY open. Honestly, I didn't think of it as a how-to for wine distributors or sellers. What I had in mind was any wine-specific questions or questions on how the Wine Library / TV has become what it is today... including the marketing, branding and promotion techniques... that are sometimes more calculated than they appear, based on Gary's ability to demonstrate how to replicate it.

Maybe my question should have been posed in the marketing/web 2+ groups, as it seems to be more pertinent there based on what you've said.
Hey Alex it's Gary I just wanted to say #1 I RESPECT your thoughts 10000% I have always thought you were an awesome dude and I am sad you might not think the same of me, I am just hoping that the few times we crossed paths wasn't enough and maybe I had a bad day or something because honestly there are not a lot of peeps out there that don't like me that have meet me. I am really thrown off by some of the comments but I except them and I hope since we do live near each other we can share some time again together and talk over it, I wish you and your family nothing bu the best ALEX, I really do and I am just sitting here sad as heck that you feel and think some of these things and I really hope I get a chance to yap with you and "fix" them if I can! Take care

RSS

Advertisments

DEPARTMENTS

Social Wine Club for Craft Wineries

Smartbrief

PepsiCo exec Lisa Walsh shares path to leadership

Industry leader Lisa Walsh, vice president of PepsiCo Customer Management, has risen through the ranks at the company since j -More

Checkers, Philly Pretzel Factory seize opportunity at Wal-Mart

Checkers and Philly Pretzel Factory are hoping to benefit from Wal-Mart's popularity by embracing new franchise development o -More

Quickserve eateries entice customers with local and sustainable angle

Locally-sourced, conscientious ingredients are gracing menus and grabbing loyal consumers at an increasing number of restaura -More

Galbani® Mascarpone. Gold Standard True Italian Taste.
Italy has a flavor all its own. When it comes to cheese, chefs who know choose Galbani. For irresistibly savory risottos and pastas, try classic Galbani mascarpone. Its rich, creamy goodness makes it perfect for favorites like tiramisu and cannoli. Galbani mascarpone, one of the fine brands from Lactalis Culinary. For paring suggestions, click here.

JOBS & CAREERS

Posting a job or finding a job starts here at FohBoh. Call us about special $50 posting packages to syndicate across all major jobs boards.

National News

Gen Z, the First True Digital Generation, Represents the Future Foodservice Consumer

Gen Z, the first true digital generation, represents the future foodservice consumer. They're a generation on the move that strongly prioritizes speed of service, technology, and having what they want, when they want it. Millennials, more so than older generations, prefer to visit restaurants that offer new and unique foods and flavors. Gen X and Boomers converge on several preferences—such as the importance of a convenient location.

Red Robin Gourmet Burgers Celebrates Its 500th New Restaurant Opening

Red Robin's 500th new restaurant opening will open on Aug. 4 at 11 a.m., in Milpitas, Calif. at the Great Mall of the Bay Area.

Darden Completes Sale Of Red Lobster To Golden Gate Capital

Darden Restaurants, Inc. (NYSE: DRI) and Golden Gate Capital today announced that Golden Gate has completed the acquisition of the Red Lobster business and certain other related assets and assumed liabilities for approximately $2.1 billion in cash.

Dunkin' Donuts Announces Plans For Seven New Restaurants In Duluth, Minnesota With New Franchisees Brian And Sharon Weidendorf

Dunkin' Donuts announced today the signing of a multi-unit store development agreement with new franchisees, Brian and Sharon Weidendorf, to develop seven restaurants in Duluth, Minnesota and the surrounding areas. The first restaurant is planned to open in spring 2015.

Wendy's Names Brandon Solano Senior Vice President of Marketing

The Wendy's Company (NASDAQ: WEN) announced today that Brandon Solano, 43, a veteran brand builder and product innovator, has been named Senior Vice President of Marketing.

CROWD FUNDING

If you are looking for capital to start or grow your restaurant, create the next 501c3, develop and launch the next app for the restaurant industry,or want to help your peers in some meaningful way, we want to know about it.

TED TALKS VIDEO

TED: Ze Frank: Are you human? - Ze Frank (2014)

Have you ever wondered: Am I a human being? Ze Frank suggests a series of simple questions that will determine this. Please relax and follow the prompts. Let's begin …

TED: Heather Barnett: What humans can learn from semi-intelligent slime - Heather Barnett (2014)

Inspired by biological design and self-organizing systems, artist Heather Barnett co-creates with physarum polycephalum, a eukaryotic microorganism that lives in cool, moist areas. What can people learn from the semi-intelligent slime mold? Watch this talk to find out.

TED: Shih Chieh Huang: Sculptures that’d be at home in the deep sea - Shih Chieh Huang (2014)

When he was young, artist Shih Chieh Huang loved taking toys apart and perusing the aisles of night markets in Taiwan for unexpected objects. Today, this TED Fellow creates madcap sculptures that seem to have a life of their own—with eyes that blink, tentacles that unfurl and parts that light up like bioluminescent sea creatures.

TED: Nikolai Begg: A tool to fix one of the most dangerous moments in surgery - Nikolai Begg (2013)

Surgeons are required every day to puncture human skin before procedures — with the risk of damaging what's on the other side. In a fascinating talk, find out how mechanical engineer Nikolai Begg is using physics to update an important medical device, called the trocar, and improve one of the most dangerous moments in many common surgeries.

© 2014   Created by FohBoh.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service