When it comes to the Martini - I have conversations that evolve around the purism (is that a word?) of the drink itself. I appreciate the Martini's return to popularity, and can acknowledge this is in large part due to the new twists introduced 7 or 8 years ago like the Apple-tini, the Chocola-tini, etc. A company called Stirrings has made a fortune recently selling mixers to make all sorts of variations - Espresso Martinis, Pear Martinis, Chocolate Peppermintini, and well, you get the picture.

To me, a true Martini is the simplest of drinks, but the steps must be performed exactly right: crushed ice about 3/4ths of the shaker - 3 parts top shelf Vodka (I like Ketel, but can settle for Grey Goose, Belvedere, etc.), 1/2 part dry vermouth. The shaker must be given a vigorous shake - NO LIMP SHAKERS PLEASE - the beverage should be as cold as the ice when done shaking. Pour into a chilled Martini Glass (again, important to have the right glass... no wine glasses or highball glasses... this is a Martini). Add 2-3 Queen olives - enjoy.

I have recently had my Martini snobbery challenged, however, by one who feels that a Gin Martini, is the ONLY pure form of this perfect cocktail. I have tried this, but enjoy the vodka version much more. What are your thoughts? Am I to sulk in the corner at my favorite lounge, feeling as inadequate drinking my Vodka Martini as one would ordering White Zinfandel at Daniel in NYC? Or can I continue to feel among the elite that enjoy a true, pure Martini?

Views: 2

Replies to This Discussion

A gin martini is the only true original, but if you prefer vodka, drink vodka.
Vodka. I can't stand gin. And for the record, I like all the flavored versions...some are excellent. I posted a recipe a few minutes ago in the Vodka group for a kick-ass Chocolate Martini.
It absolutely must be gin to be real, but many people do prefer vodka for some reason. I think it tastes like rubbing alcohol with vodka, which is why all those girly flavors have been added in recent years -- to disguise the taste of the alcohol.

Also, stirred, please, not shaken, unless you're mixing in olive or fruit juice, It's clearer, purer, and nice and boozy.......
One of the best Gins that I have tasted is from Bend, OR from Bend Distrillery. They use real juniper berries from Central Oregon. Very tasty! Ginerally, I have Gin & Tonics!
A little vermouth, dash of olive juice, some Grey Goose, a couple of feta cheese stuffed olives....heaven!
I did a little bit of web research about your question of whether or not a gin martini is the true original. Apparently martinis started out in Italy as pure dry vermouth on the rocks about three hundred years ago. Gin and Vodka were both added throughout the evolution of the martini at about the same time, just in different parts of the world. The Gin Martini became famous in England and France somewhere toward the end of the nineteenth century, whereas the Vodka Martini first became popularized in Eastern Europe in the Austria and Hungary regions at about the same time. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking that one is better than the other or has more history, it's just that they are both different branches of the same tree. Their evolution has much to do with the particular tastes of the ruling class of each country in question. I hope that helped you out a little. I'm a bit of a nerd and love an excuse to do some research...
Gin is considered the authentic and original -- but I think that vodka martinis have gained legitimacy (and a lot of fans)over the past couple of years. I prefer vodka martinis myself.

I know a lot of people are gin haters -- but I think those people just haven't had the right gin for them yet. Lately I've been drinking Plymouth and liking it quite a bit. I'm not a big fan of gin martinis -- but I love a good Aviation (gin, fresh lemon, marachino liqueur, and sometimes creme de violette). So maybe those gin haters haven't had the right gin cocktail yet either.
This isn't really a Coke vs. Pepsi discussion. It's like an apples vs. oranges discussion. As a Gin enthusiast, I prefer a Bombay (not Sapphire) Gin Martini, on the rocks, with Gorgonzola stuffed olives. Am I going to snub you because you prefer a Vodka Martini up? Hell no. I will give out the stinkeye with no questions asked if you order a Peppermintini though.
Cheers to the lovely research done by Brett. In reference to your comments about -tini's and how the word has been heavily misused. Frilly beverages served up are cocktails. They are to be referred to as 'Lemon-drop served up in a cocktail glass'.
I also cannot resist suggesting that many of you should also have some sips of some of the Oregon Distilleries Spirits, its booming and certainly needs connoisseurs like you.

RSS

Advertisments

DEPARTMENTS

Social Wine Club for Craft Wineries

Smartbrief

Chains make chicken the star of the menu

High beef and pork prices are making chicken the go-to meat more than ever, boosting wholesale prices for producers and spurr -More

Americans continue to eat less fish

The average American is consuming only 14.4 pounds of fish per year, down from the record high of 16.6 pounds in 2004, Ben Di -More

JOBS & CAREERS

Posting a job or finding a job starts here at FohBoh. Call us about special $25 posting packages to syndicate across all major jobs boards.

National News

Rita's Italian Ice Awards Area Development Agreement for Kansas

Rita's Italian Ice has awarded franchise and area development agreements for Kansas and the Kansas City area, which extends to the Missouri side of the city, to franchisees and local residents Jay Miller, Jeff Miller and Pat Reilly.

Restaurant Sales Bounced Back in March

Restaurant sales posted a solid gain in March, and bounced back completely from the recent soft patch. Eating and drinking place sales totaled $47.3 billion on a seasonally-adjusted basis in March, up 1.1 percent from February's upward-revised sales volume of $46.8 billion, according to preliminary figures from the U.S. Census Bureau.

McAlister's Deli Signs Franchise Agreement to Expand to Cleveland

McAlister's Deli announced it has signed a development agreement with an experienced multi-unit operator to develop three restaurants in the Cleveland, Ohio, area - the brand's first locations in the market.

Restaurant Trends - Growing And Emerging Concepts - Change and Activity April 16, 2014

Update from Restaurantchains.net on growing and emerging restaurant concepts

Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen, Inc. Announces CFO Departure in May

The company has commenced a search for Mr. Hope’s successor, reviewing both internal and external candidates. Mr. Hope will assist in the transition of duties to an interim CFO and will remain a consultant to the company through the summer.

CROWD FUNDING

If you are looking for capital to start or grow your restaurant, create the next 501c3, develop and launch the next app for the restaurant industry,or want to help your peers in some meaningful way, we want to know about it.

TED TALKS VIDEO

TED: Norman Spack: How I help transgender teens become who they want to be - Norman Spack (2013)

Puberty is an awkward time for just about everybody, but for transgender teens it can be a nightmare, as they grow overnight into bodies they aren't comfortable with. In a heartfelt talk, endocrinologist Norman Spack tells a personal story of how he became one of the few doctors in the US to treat minors with hormone replacement therapy. By staving off the effects of puberty, Spack gives trans teens the time they need. (Filmed at TEDxBeaconStreet.)

TED: Jennifer Senior: For parents, happiness is a very high bar - Jennifer Senior (2014)

The parenting section of the bookstore is overwhelming—it's "a giant, candy-colored monument to our collective panic," as writer Jennifer Senior puts it. Why is parenthood filled with so much anxiety? Because the goal of modern, middle-class parents—to raise happy children—is so elusive. In this honest talk, she offers some kinder and more achievable aims.

TED: David Brooks: Should you live for your résumé ... or your eulogy? - David Brooks (2014)

Within each of us are two selves, suggests David Brooks in this meditative short talk: the self who craves success, who builds a résumé, and the self who seeks connection, community, love -- the values that make for a great eulogy. (Joseph Soloveitchik has called these selves "Adam I" and "Adam II.") Brooks asks: Can we balance these two selves?

TED: David Sengeh: The sore problem of prosthetic limbs - David Sengeh (2014)

What drove David Sengeh to create a more comfortable prosthetic limb? He grew up in Sierra Leone, and too many of the people he loves are missing limbs after the brutal civil war there. When he noticed that people who had prosthetics weren’t actually wearing them, the TED Fellow set out to discover why — and to solve the problem with his team from the MIT Media Lab.

© 2014   Created by FohBoh.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service