I was heated disucssing something in the office yesterday with another person and we started to talk about the Gen X/Gen Y cusp group....apparently there are more of us out there than I originally thought...

Any interesting point came up which I wasn't aware of and I was wondering if anyone else had heard this:

Apparently there is a gap of about three years between Gen X and Gen Y. I was told that those born from 1979-1981 are this 'gap group' that doesn't fall into either Gen X or Gen Y. Gen X stops at 1978...Gen Y starts at 1982...hmmm

I personally found this interesting since I was born in 1979- I am a gapper! What have any of you heard????

Tags: Gen, X, Y

Views: 9

Replies to This Discussion

hmm... I haven't heard of a gap group. What I have noticed is that difference sources will claim different ranges. Some say that Generation Y was born between 1980 - 1995, NAS Insights says 1977 - 1994, I read an ariticle the other day that said gen x was born between 1965 - 1976 and gen y 1977 -1998. I'm also on that cusp born in 1977 and certainly have traits of both X and Y.
I hear you gappers! Amanda H is correct though depending on the source. I was born in 1964 and some sources call me a Boomer and some sources say I am an Xer.

I like to think of the gappers or those on the cusp of their generations as the liasons between the generations. I feel somehow strangely connected to both groups. I can talk to either one and seem to "get it"

I think it is a good thing - think of yourself as bilingual - heck put that on your resume that you speak two generation's languages....its a stretch but what a powerful conversation you could have with a potential new boss about your communication skills.
1968 here. I have not been a Boomer, tho a X. I still feel in the middle of the whole thing anyway. Welcome to the group!
All the Old people call me Young, and the Young call me Old!
Don't know who said it, but it bears repeating, "you are only as old as you feel" ;)
Amen!
I have found that as I get older, working in the restaurant industry has kept me feeling youthful and up to date on technology, behaviors, pop culture etc... As long as you pay attention, embrace and engage on their level, and keep your mind open, whatever generation you are dealing with will give it right back! I'm not necessarily on the cusp, having been born in 1972, but I certainly feel like it.
You're right. A few weeks ago, I was talking to a co-worker (around my age) who didn't know who Fergie was (??!!).

Fortunately, most people think I'm about 8 years younger than I really am and I honestly believe it's got everything to do with what you said - paying attention, embracing & engaging, and keeping an open mind.

I don't totally fit in either gen and guess I'm a gapper by choice, lol Maybe that's why it's difficult to define the cusp group. It would be an interesting study, that's for sure!
Demographer's vary on generational timing. When I've had to look forward or backwards, the person's own point-of-view about the key media/social/technological events of their day (they are converging rapidly) has given me clues to what generation they may belong to especially if they are on a cusp.

As an example I have a pair of twins who work in different stores as managers. One is definitely a Gen X'er (MTV/latchkey) the other identifies with Gen Y (social networks).

I have customers who'd like to order via a text message, employees who'd rather I use Facebook or MySpace instead of texting them -- and they are within 6 months of one another.

When I need to reference generational guidelines I've use two tables produced by Bill Strauss and Neil Howe. They are available In simplified form online: Simple Generation Table (here) and Generation List (here).

Hope this helps!
@mark great insight, thanks for the resources

RSS

Advertisments

DEPARTMENTS

Social Wine Club for Craft Wineries

Smartbrief

Red Lobster crafts new, high-end image

Red Lobster will nix low-price specials and focus on flourishes like plating in order to reshape itself as a cut above dine-i -More

The Year of the Instagram Strategy
Managing the Instagram channel has become a strategic imperative for any brand or small business, and the urgency grows daily along with its user base. During this webinar on August 12 you'll hear how brands such as Disneyland Resort, JCPenney, and The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf are utilizing this platform to connect with their customers in an authentic, relevant way. Register today!

The tweet's the thing

Everyone’s atwitter about the NRA's Kids LiveWell Twitter party, held in celebration of the program’s third anniv -More

Arby's meaty campaign highlights protein lineup

Arby's new campaign, "We have the meats!," focuses on the chain's new limited-time menu offering, the Mega Meat Stack, which  -More

JOBS & CAREERS

Posting a job or finding a job starts here at FohBoh. Call us about special $50 posting packages to syndicate across all major jobs boards.

National News

Restaurant Trends - Growing And Emerging Concepts - Change and Activity July 29, 2014

Update from Restaurantchains.net on growing and emerging restaurant concepts

Gen Z, the First True Digital Generation, Represents the Future Foodservice Consumer

Gen Z, the first true digital generation, represents the future foodservice consumer. They're a generation on the move that strongly prioritizes speed of service, technology, and having what they want, when they want it. Millennials, more so than older generations, prefer to visit restaurants that offer new and unique foods and flavors. Gen X and Boomers converge on several preferences—such as the importance of a convenient location.

Red Robin Gourmet Burgers Celebrates Its 500th New Restaurant Opening

Red Robin's 500th new restaurant opening will open on Aug. 4 at 11 a.m., in Milpitas, Calif. at the Great Mall of the Bay Area.

Darden Completes Sale Of Red Lobster To Golden Gate Capital

Darden Restaurants, Inc. (NYSE: DRI) and Golden Gate Capital today announced that Golden Gate has completed the acquisition of the Red Lobster business and certain other related assets and assumed liabilities for approximately $2.1 billion in cash.

Dunkin' Donuts Announces Plans For Seven New Restaurants In Duluth, Minnesota With New Franchisees Brian And Sharon Weidendorf

Dunkin' Donuts announced today the signing of a multi-unit store development agreement with new franchisees, Brian and Sharon Weidendorf, to develop seven restaurants in Duluth, Minnesota and the surrounding areas. The first restaurant is planned to open in spring 2015.

CROWD FUNDING

If you are looking for capital to start or grow your restaurant, create the next 501c3, develop and launch the next app for the restaurant industry,or want to help your peers in some meaningful way, we want to know about it.

TED TALKS VIDEO

TED: Ze Frank: Are you human? - Ze Frank (2014)

Have you ever wondered: Am I a human being? Ze Frank suggests a series of simple questions that will determine this. Please relax and follow the prompts. Let's begin …

TED: Heather Barnett: What humans can learn from semi-intelligent slime - Heather Barnett (2014)

Inspired by biological design and self-organizing systems, artist Heather Barnett co-creates with physarum polycephalum, a eukaryotic microorganism that lives in cool, moist areas. What can people learn from the semi-intelligent slime mold? Watch this talk to find out.

TED: Shih Chieh Huang: Sculptures that’d be at home in the deep sea - Shih Chieh Huang (2014)

When he was young, artist Shih Chieh Huang loved taking toys apart and perusing the aisles of night markets in Taiwan for unexpected objects. Today, this TED Fellow creates madcap sculptures that seem to have a life of their own—with eyes that blink, tentacles that unfurl and parts that light up like bioluminescent sea creatures.

TED: Nikolai Begg: A tool to fix one of the most dangerous moments in surgery - Nikolai Begg (2013)

Surgeons are required every day to puncture human skin before procedures — with the risk of damaging what's on the other side. In a fascinating talk, find out how mechanical engineer Nikolai Begg is using physics to update an important medical device, called the trocar, and improve one of the most dangerous moments in many common surgeries.

© 2014   Created by FohBoh.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service