The Leadership group is looking for your best practice!

FOHBOH has graciously teamed with the Leadership group to build great content within the site. Here is how it works. Submit your best Leadership practice in a discussion format on the Leadership group page. The “Best Practice” can be any procedure, task, or strategy that represents the definition of Leadership within a business.

Your discussion will be rated by a panel that consists of local FOHBOH members to include Randy Caparosa, Jeffrey Summers, Amanda Hite, Brandon O’Dell and Andy Swingley. You will be rated by each judge on a scale of 1-10 in the categories of:

Usability – can it be easily applied by others that read the discussion?

Engaging – does it spark replies from other members of the group?

Innovation – does it display great thinking in the area of Leadership?

Content and style – how well the discussion is written – is it compelling based on your delivery

The “contest” will run from Wednesday, May 7th, through Wednesday, May 28th. The winner will be determined by a combined score of all judges. In the event of a tie, the judges will make a final decision between tied entries. Only one discussion per member will be judged (your first submission). Please post your submission with the pre-fix “Best Practice” so it is easy to differentiate your post. (ex: Best Practice: Retaining Fast Food Employees)

The winner will receive $100 to use at your favorite restaurant, 10,000 points added to your FOHBOH account, and you will be featured in a winning blog on the Main Page of FOHBOH. The Winner will be announced on June 4th!

Good Luck, invite your friends to join the group, and start publishing!

Views: 0

Replies to This Discussion

Great idea to run this contest. The information will greatly benefit everyone! Now, I have to come up with a few ideas and write out my essay! (Could I just have 20,000 points? instead of the $100)
Always thinking aren't you......let me think.....no you can't but hey $100 can't hurt in your favorite place...take your wife somewhere, I know she deserves it more than you!

Can't wait to see your post!
Totally understand. It's a great prize on both sides and well worth it!
You rock Swing Man. I'm in. If I win I want a time to play golf with you and some of the East Region's finest! I'll treat you guys to drinks with the hundred smackers!!!!!!
O.K. I joined fohboh a while ago, but haven't used it much. Boy has it grown! This site is great, and I will definitely visit more often, probably daily.
Looking forward to reading and participating in the discussion.

John
"Best Practice"... Hmmm, this really makes me think. A lot of people that I work with see me as a leader. They see me organized and all together. I wish I saw that part of myself. I don't consider myself a "leader" in my job. I am not an owner or even a manager of a business. However, I do work for a totally awesome company that allows it's associates room to grow. My name is Kendra Miller, and I work for T&K Applebee's. I am a server, host, expo, and corporate trainer. I have never taken part in a discussion nor have I ever posted a blog. My apologies in advance if this seems random and unorganized. When I saw the "best practices" here I couldn't pass up the opportunity to share. These best practices are ones that I've adapted for my personal life as well as work. I believe that each day you are given the opportunity to choose your attitude. When you wake in the morning you get to make a conscience decision as to what kind of day you'll have. When I do store openings, I teach "choose your attitude". Next, it's all about the guest (or the friend, relative, or whomever you're with). So many people that I work with tend to take things too seriously, and personally. They tend to forget that we are there for a reason, and that reason is the guest. When we choose our attitude, and have a guest first mentality, it's hard to mess it up. Everyone wins! Happy guests = return visits. Return visits = more money! And isn't that why we're all working? And finally, I believe you have to have a passion for what you do. When you enjoy what you're doing, it shows, and you just seem to feel better about yourself.

So when you put these 3 little things into play: Choose your attitude, Guest First Mentality, and Passion for your job, you can't help but be excited and want to share. But lets not get started about my passion for training.... I can ramble on and on. These are my best practices. Thanks for the opportunity to let me share.
Kendra: If every employee had your perspective on leadership we wouldn't need managers. Seriously, it all starts with attitude and so many people allow what's going on outside of them to impact their attitude. As leaders we have to convince our team members to "go inside" to find their joy and happiness. Obviously you know how to do this and you take responsibility for doing it consistently, everyday! I agree with you about loving what you do! So many people miss out because they are waiting until "they get a real job". In the restaurants we have such an opportunity to teach life lessons. If you keep looking forward to tomorrow you miss out on what's going on today! You can feel great about the fact that you are making a positive difference for the people you work with. You'll always stand out in my mind as a positive, high energy leader! Hope all's well. Keep the comments coming! We can all learn from you...
Thanks Bill. That means a lot to me coming from you. I sure do miss seeing you around. All's well in Springfield, and I hope all is well with you.
Hi Jeffrey. I can't say I've always held these beliefs. These are definitely things I've grown into. However, I believe that I've always had a great work ethic that was instilled in me by my parents. (Thanks Mom and Dad!).

I've had quite a few people who have influenced me, many of who work for or have worked for Thomas & King. Bill Campion comes to mind. That man personifies positive attitude! He introduced me to the "FISH" video and that made a world of difference on how I see things. Thanks Bill! Also Amanda Hite. I love the passion she has for what she does. Just watching her move a room when she speaks, and hearing the passion in her voice... it's taught me to be more passionate about what I do. Thanks Amanda!

So I guess I can say thanks to my job for bringing these wonderful people and influences into my life.
Can the judges be bought???? Have they all been subjected to a lie detector test and drug screening??

I just want to insure that my piece will be judged fairly. LOL
I know I can be bought....but I can't vouch for the bribery thresholds of the rest of the panel.....
Jeffery-

I have to admit that I love to type, but I just might be the world's worst speller!

Spell Check is my best friend!

RSS

Advertisments

DEPARTMENTS

Social Wine Club for Craft Wineries

Smartbrief

Restaurants may feel the pinch of pricier coffee later this year

Prices for arabica coffee futures hit a 26-month high amid a drought in Brazil, which produces a third of the world's coffee  -More

McDonald's rules out all-day breakfast in push to simplify

McDonald's breakfast menu accounts for 25% of the chain's U.S.  -More

Easy ways to use 5 uncommon spring greens

As light, crisp greens arrive at farmers markets and grocery stores, chefs are finding creative ways to add them to spring me -More

JOBS & CAREERS

Posting a job or finding a job starts here at FohBoh. Call us about special $25 posting packages to syndicate across all major jobs boards.

National News

National Restaurant Association Offers Training DVDs on Harassment Prevention, Social Media Use, and Customer Service

The National Restaurant Association has released three new DVDs that offer best practices in dealing with harassment and discrimination, customer service training, and the first of its kind video guide on the use of social media.

Yum! Brands Reports First-Quarter EPS Growth of 24% Excluding Special Items

China Division System Sales Increased 17% with Operating Profit Growth of 80%; Yum! Reaffirms Full-Year Guidance of at Lea

Souplantation & Sweet Tomatoes Certified As Nation's Largest 'Green' Restaurant Chain

National Group Salutes Country's Only Large Restaurant Group to be 'Certified Green Restaurants®'

National Restaurant Association and EatStreet Release Online Ordering Guide

The National Restaurant Association and EatStreet have released a free educational guide focusing on online ordering and emerging restaurant technology trends.

Boyd's Coffee Launches Single-Cup Coffees For Retail And Foodservice

The coffees come in a variety of roast levels and include organic and Rainforest Alliance Certified™ options: French No. 6®, Red Wagon® Organic Coffee, Good Morning™, Hi-Rev® (delivers more caffeine), and Lost Lake™ Decaf Organic Coffee.

CROWD FUNDING

If you are looking for capital to start or grow your restaurant, create the next 501c3, develop and launch the next app for the restaurant industry,or want to help your peers in some meaningful way, we want to know about it.

TED TALKS VIDEO

TED: Hamish Jolly: A shark-deterrent wetsuit (and it's not what you think) - Hamish Jolly (2013)

Hamish Jolly, an ocean swimmer in Australia, wanted a wetsuit that would deter a curious shark from mistaking him for a potential source of nourishment. (Which, statistically, is rare, but certainly a fate worth avoiding.) Working with a team of scientists, he and his friends came up with a fresh approach — not a shark cage, not a suit of chain-mail, but a sleek suit that taps our growing understanding of shark vision.

TED: Michel Laberge: How synchronized hammer strikes could generate nuclear fusion - Michel Laberge (2014)

Our energy future depends on nuclear fusion, says Michel Laberge. The plasma physicist runs a small company with a big idea for a new type of nuclear reactor that could produce clean, cheap energy. His secret recipe? High speeds, scorching temperatures and crushing pressure. In this hopeful talk, he explains how nuclear fusion might be just around the corner.

TED: Sarah Lewis: Embrace the near win - Sarah Lewis (2014)

At her first museum job, art historian Sarah Lewis noticed something important about an artist she was studying: Not every artwork was a total masterpiece. She asks us to consider the role of the almost-failure, the near win, in our own lives. In our pursuit of success and mastery, is it actually our near wins that push us forward?

TED: Matthew Carter: My life in typefaces - Matthew Carter (2014)

Pick up a book, magazine or screen, and more than likely you'll come across some typography designed by Matthew Carter. In this charming talk, the man behind typefaces such as Verdana, Georgia and Bell Centennial (designed just for phone books -- remember them?), takes us on a spin through a career focused on the very last pixel of each letter of a font.

© 2014   Created by FohBoh.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service