Forum

Does your restaurant have an iPhone App?

I'm asking this because I think it could have real potential to increase business...
It doesn't take much to get in the App Store and then you've got something of value you can offer your customers...
I've developed a few apps for local restaurants and I think they serve as a great marketing reminder that you are open for business... they see your name on their phone perhaps a zillion times a day!  Add to that the ability to retrieve a mysterious daily special like a discount or 'catch of the day' and you might have people consider ordering from you every day...

Am I the only one interested in this?

You need to be a member of FOHBOH to add comments!

Join FOHBOH

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Just to chime in, I agree with Jon and Ola that an HTML5 option might be a good solution for a lot of restaurants. Restaurants should have a mobile-friendly version of their website anyway (we just did a survey that found that nearly 40% of restaurant website visitors check restaurant websites "frequently" or "always" from their mobile phone, and an even larger percentage expect restaurant sites to work on mobile). Particularly if the restaurant website is already running on a CMS like WordPress, it's really easy to create a mobile-optimized version of the site that looks and feels very much like a native iPhone app. So to me, doing the app in HTML5 kills two birds with one stone - it addresses the issue of making sure your actual website is mobile-optimized, and can also function in an app environment.

A lot of the "build it online, pay a monthly fee" app services actually use HTML5 as the foundation for their apps anyway (which are compiled for the iPhone using PhoneGap or something similar).

(Full disclosure: we are a web development agency, so I may be biased toward web solutions, but in this scenario it really does seem like a good way to handle it :D )

• Hi there... like everyone else on here :)   we're an app developer.  Seems like all of the POS companies are getting in on the gig.  I think for the normal owner, taking the path of least resistance is by going thru their exsiting vendor and getting an app solution there.

It's a bummer too,  because we can build an app with a lot more customizations than the POS companies offer,  but at the end of the day the app just needs to be functional.  

It's funny because we talk to a lot of owners... and I haven't heard a ton of positive feedback regarding ANY POS system.  In fact we hear most complaints about FireFly from Granburys (sorry Granburys)  but alas.. the restaurant owners are too busy to search for alternatives and just think its a big headache to change. 

What we're trying to do is resell an all inclusive package to Food Trucks,  because,  the don't have existing POS systems.  Set them up with Square and a custom mobile app.  We've gotta work our on pricing model,  but it's coming along! 

• Restaurant websites does not need an app. Have people heart of html 5. How many apps would you like to add to your phone ? Every restaurant you attend ?

Does not make sense.

• We've worked with hundreds of restaurant owners to offer a mobile ordering app (written in html5 so it is compatible with iphone, android, blackberry etc.) which is fully integrated with their online ordering (same user experience) and their POS systems. A self-serve in-store kiosk is also an option. Finding a solutions provider who can offer all the technology pieces under one roof (POS, online, mobile, etc.) greatly simplifies the integration questions and gives you a consistent customer experience across your brand. Integration with POS is critical as it ensures that orders get processed correctly and efficiently, and that reporting is consistent. www.granburyrs.com

• Yes, our online ordering provide an app that make it easier for  costumers, make it easier for us offer online ordering, Safe time, increase sales, increase revenue.

• Hi Ryan,

I had a little red flag when I read this "they see your name on their phone perhaps a zillion times a day!".

My experience has been that if you post more than a few times per day, people get irritaed and they'll tune
    you out or worse, remove the app and block you altogether.

Having said that, I love apps for restaurants for all the reasons you mentioned. =)

It's also a great way to drive people to your Facebook page where you can offer "members only" offers or
    to your flicker account where you can post pics of daily specials or people enjoying the specials.

~Arlina
    • I think what he meant was that they would see the app icon, not necessarily constant updates (which would be incredibly annoying, as you pointed out)
      • Okay, thanks for saying that! I see it all too often and I just cringe when I see people doing that. Super annoying! lol
        • Andrew is correct. I simply meant that the person who has the app on their phone will very often see the icon as a reminder, which might prompt them to consider your restaurant more often.
          • Whether it's annoying or not will depend on the size of the icon and frequency that it is displayed. If had to see that every day, multiple times a day, I personaly would be annoyed, If I'm annoyed by that, it will transfer that emotion to the establishment through a process called anchoring.

We keep our rest. clients in front of their patrons with SMS, only once weekly. This is a safer method and it's usually a financially compelling offer or anouncement of a new special or even just to say TY for your business, we appreciate it!

Tony
            http://21stcenturymarketingonline.com
This reply was deleted.

Advertise