What do you think of the Menu Labeling Law that just passed?

Calorie data now has to be posted by chains. See the article here: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/24/business/24menu.html?src=me

How will this impact you? Do you have a plan to be in compliance?

Tags: Labeling, Legislation, Menu

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm afraid I don't think this is the way to curb obesity. There aren't many people that don't know that french fries or single serving pies are loaded with calories.

We really need to began the battle much earlier in the lower grades of grammar school, and at home.

Children are so very susceptible to the advertising they are subjected to during television shows created for them, which also sets early buying patterns and behavior..

NPR recently aired a conversation about the subject - you can listen to it here.

I would much rather see that activity scrutinized and adjusted.

See also "Children And Advertising"

and

Researchers at the University of California Davis analyzed type and...
As a nutrition analysis solutions provider I'm thrilled that there is going to be a national standard for menu labeling. Keeping up with all of the state and local laws is very confusing, especially for chain restaurants with multiple locations covered by different ordinances (see my blog on the subject here: http://www.fohboh.com/profiles/blog/show?id=1411008:BlogPost:358673)

Do I think that law is going to cure America's obesity epidemic? Of course not.

Do I think it's a step in the right direction? I do, I think that empowering consumers with information is always better than keeping them in the dark.
Still as a student, I'm very interested in the subject. In fact, I'm doing my senior thesis on how restaurants can capitalize on the menu labeling. I've worked for years in the kitchen of a leading chain and I've seen what it put into the foods. Highly processed foods with high fat, high sodium, and filled with ingredients that can't be pronounced.

Through my research and talking to industry professionals on the impact on their sales mix, this law will take time to see the overall benefit in the society and possibly in the financials of the restaurants (still collecting data for the thesis). But talking with my mentor who has spent almost 30 years in the industry, I've found that these laws, however patch work they are currently, are really being put into place for the next generation who will look at the labeling and use it just like people between 25 and 40 use grocery labels where as their parents did not. The federal law (LEAN act) being proposed will attempt to unify the requirements to make it easier on chains and wake up consumers of this generation to use them.

Please, if you could, help me further collect data on the possible affects that the nutritional menu labeling in NYC has affected establishment's sales mix and relative profits by taking a short on-line survey. It's not a solicit and is completely confidential (won't ask for specific numbers or names of the establishments) I would really like to see the true affect quantified. The link:
Courtney,

You make a very good point regarding the grocery label use now, as opposed to the past.

I begin to see this in a different light, but remain steadfast that there must be alterations made to include grade school nutrition instruction, and greater oversight of the advertisements fed to children via the entertainment industry, commercials, product placement, and shelving levels at grocery stores, etc.

I urge you to check into the possibility of a link between additives and preservatives used in processed food and the uptick in allergies and food sensitivities. Many of those are counted as trace elements and, as such, are not regulated.

Good luck
Paul,

Children are a huge marketing possibility. Not only do they stimulate demand in products geared towards children but they also get parents to buy certain products. I can see the counter impression that the advertising will lessen regulations reach to the next generation. However, I read an article that might interest you on the subject. It reports the results that have happened due to the nutritional labeling regulations in NYC and their affects on mothers with children. (unfortunately the article is no longer posted on-line) It said that even though the mothers were not making healthier decisions for themselves after the calorie content was posted, they did make healthier choices for their children by a significant amount.
http://www.chainleader.com/lexisnexis/9093718-Does_label_law_change... (I posted the link for reference)

I agree with you that there is a link between the processed foods and the increase in allergies and food sensitivities. Many quick service restaurants turn to processed foods to deliver faster, more reliable and consistent products to the consumer. But the jury is still out in many cases. Processed foods have only been on the mainstream market since the 50's and the affects of the preservatives and artificial chemicals are only being discovered on the aging baby-boomers. For the government to regulate these additives would take more research and time. The public also must catch up to understand the affects of these additives and to demand regulation. Just as the current nutritional labeling laws have come about due to consumers eating out more and connecting it with obesity and health problems. We really have only touch the tip of the ice burg in nutritional labeling regulations but I think also, that it is an evolution of knowledge through the generations.

Thank you for the discussion.

As always, I would really appreciate a response to my on-line survey to compete my senior thesis on nutritional labeling and how restaurants can use it to increase their profits. Thank you.
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/nutritionallabelsurvey
I think its a great idea because it will encourage cooks to adjust their recipes to provide healthier choices. Its kind crazy to offer a salad with over 1200 calories don't you think? I think its a step in the right direction. There will always be people who wish to live in blind bliss but I think in the end everyone will come out healthier for it.
Has it not been demonstrated that restaurants that have voluntarily done this before, have experienced little change in patron behavior; and that the behavior that was noted was that calories/meal actually increased?

I believe history will show that, for the general population, it will make little difference. If people want a sauce laced with cream and butter, they will not worry about the calorie count. And most people will not study how high is the calorie count for a salad; to a fast food patron, a salad is a salad, and the whole point of going to a fast food joint is because speed is of the essence. Stopping to count the calories is not part of those patrons' normal concerns.

The law will make a difference to those who count calories on a regular basis. But those people already know about the calories and other dangers of an alfredo sauce. Trying to teach others through this law is probably a waste, to a large degree.

RSS

Advertisments

DEPARTMENTS

Social Wine Club for Craft Wineries

Smartbrief

Kids LiveWell atwitter over Twitter party

In its continuing effort to promote more nutritious and flavorful children's menu options, the NRA will hold a Twitter party  -More

Starbucks could become top on-premise wine seller in U.S.

Starbucks is planning to slowly expand its evening sales of wine, beer and small plates to thousands of selected stores throu -More

The evolving nature of snacks

Snacks have shifted from an after-school treat to a meal alternative as meal times become more fragmented.  -More

JOBS & CAREERS

Posting a job or finding a job starts here at FohBoh. Call us about special $25 posting packages to syndicate across all major jobs boards.

National News

Wahlburgers Announces Expansion Plans Including Franchise Agreement in Philadelphia

Wahlburgers has signed a franchise agreement with Hingham Associates, LLC that will bring five Wahlburgers to the metropolitan Philadelphia area over the next several years. The franchise group is actively looking at sites and is targeting a late 2014-early 2015 opening for its first restaurant.

Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc. First Quarter 2014 Revenue Up 24.4%

Comparable restaurant sales increased 13.4% - Restaurant level operating margin was 25.9%, a decrease of 40 basis points

Jamba Juice Announces Grand Opening of New St. Louis, MO Location

Jamba Juice Company announced the brand’s continued expansion in the St. Louis market with the opening of a Jamba Juice® store at 11477 Olive Blvd. on April 16, 2014.

Expert in Real Estate Analytics Joins Luna Grill

Luna Grill, the San Diego-based Mediterranean restaurant chain, is welcoming retail real estate industry veteran Greg Thorburn to its leadership team. Thorburn has been brought on board to fill the newly created position of Vice-President of Real Estate.

Rita's Italian Ice Awards Area Development Agreement for Kansas

Rita's Italian Ice has awarded franchise and area development agreements for Kansas and the Kansas City area, which extends to the Missouri side of the city, to franchisees and local residents Jay Miller, Jeff Miller and Pat Reilly.

CROWD FUNDING

If you are looking for capital to start or grow your restaurant, create the next 501c3, develop and launch the next app for the restaurant industry,or want to help your peers in some meaningful way, we want to know about it.

TED TALKS VIDEO

TED: Matthew Carter: My life in typefaces - Matthew Carter (2014)

Pick up a book, magazine or screen, and more than likely you'll come across some typography designed by Matthew Carter. In this charming talk, the man behind typefaces such as Verdana, Georgia and Bell Centennial (designed just for phone books -- remember them?), takes us on a spin through a career focused on the very last pixel of each letter of a font.

TED: Jeremy Kasdin: The flower-shaped starshade that might help us detect Earth-like planets - Jeremy Kasdin (2014)

Astronomers believe that every star in the galaxy has a planet, one fifth of which might harbor life. Only we haven't seen any of them -- yet. Jeremy Kasdin and his team are looking to change that with the design and engineering of an extraordinary piece of equipment: a flower petal-shaped "starshade" that allows a telescope to photograph planets from 50,000 kilometers away. It is, he says, the "coolest possible science."

TED: Norman Spack: How I help transgender teens become who they want to be - Norman Spack (2013)

Puberty is an awkward time for just about everybody, but for transgender teens it can be a nightmare, as they grow overnight into bodies they aren't comfortable with. In a heartfelt talk, endocrinologist Norman Spack tells a personal story of how he became one of the few doctors in the US to treat minors with hormone replacement therapy. By staving off the effects of puberty, Spack gives trans teens the time they need. (Filmed at TEDxBeaconStreet.)

TED: Jennifer Senior: For parents, happiness is a very high bar - Jennifer Senior (2014)

The parenting section of the bookstore is overwhelming—it's "a giant, candy-colored monument to our collective panic," as writer Jennifer Senior puts it. Why is parenthood filled with so much anxiety? Because the goal of modern, middle-class parents—to raise happy children—is so elusive. In this honest talk, she offers some kinder and more achievable aims.

© 2014   Created by FohBoh.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service