Who comes first the customer or the employee? Why did you pick the one you did?

Tags: Question, of, the, week.

Views: 4

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The customer may always be right, but the employee comes first. If you do not have the right employees the customers will not be a problem for they will not darkening your door.
I think you have to keep a fair balance of the two. On one hand if you dont put the customer first you wont be able to pay your employees (because they wont come), and on the other you wont have customers if you dont put your employees first(because your employees wont treat the customer correctly). I think its about which customers and\or employees you choose to put first. I will not put my bottom 5% employees before my top 5% customers.
No question, the employee. Employees are your business and without setting the proper training, standards and philosophy with them, the customer will suffer ultimately. Besides, you had to have employees before you could accept customers.
If employees come first how come most business customer service train say the customers are always right and two how come most restaurants feel that front line employees are disposable and treat them that way?
Employees do come first in my book. Happy staff=Happy guests. I am not part of the philosophy that the customer is always right. We just tell them that and then make fun of them or curse them later. It seems that no one has the balls to tell a guest anymore that they indeed are wrong, stupid, ignorant, unreasonable, whatever the situation is. This goes for most FOH people from the host up to the General Manager. Some people just don't realize how a restaurant works and expect us to bend the rules just for them. These are the people that, for example, will make up their own food and then complain "it doesn't taste right." Well gee I wonder why? Even the simplest of recipes are tried and tested to make sure it tastes a certain way, yet maintains a little bit of differentiation if you were to order that same thing somewhere else. Many more examples or stories I could relate where the customer is "right" per se, but we all know they were actually "wrong."
Front line employees disposable? Don't know why managers do that. Maybe because restaurant people are a very transient bunch and they don't find it worthwhile to establish good relationships when that person will probably be gone in six months. Maybe they have so much else on their plates when they become managers it's just one of those things that goes to the waste side cause your boss is on your ass about labor, your schedule, your inventory, and any number of other things. Maybe your managers are not that much smarter than some of your staff. We have all worked with people that have been managers for years but are really clueless idiots. Maybe they're worried about favoritism. Maybe they just want to establish that boundary between employer and employee. I'm your boss not your friend mentality. Who know's why? These are questions that there are a million answers to, but not really a solution.
excellant ! I can tell you have been around the block!
Good answer you took the words right out my mouth.
Love the looks of your restaurant. How far from New Orleans? Why not put your website address on your FOH page?
The employees are the most important aspect of the front and back of the house.

The whole idea of the business is repeat customers. Without returning patrons, what you have is an event.

Time spent training the staff in deep product knowledge, taking ownership, and building a team, is necessary for success.

See this related post by Caribou
The employee without a doubt. They are the heart and soul of your of your store. you take care of them and they will take care of your guest and then you get taken care of. Training, direction and support is the key to success. You will not be able to please everybody all the time but if you take care of your staff they will please more than the orther guys.
I am going to buck the trend of these comments by saying simply that without the customer, there's no business. No business, no jobs to fill.

Hiring the right employees and training them well to deliver outstanding service (FOH) and great food (BOH) is a wise business retention strategy and a customer focused strategy.

You have to get the customer in the door in the first place. They must buy into the dream/concept. If that's from focused marketing or word of mouth, that's customer centric.
You can't build Guest Loyalty without Team Member Loyalty. Your Employees come first.

RSS

Advertisments

DEPARTMENTS

Social Wine Club for Craft Wineries

Smartbrief

Read the latest

Read the latest food and beverage coverage by SmartBrief in SmartBrief Originals: -More

Kids LiveWell turns 3 with 42,000 participating eateries

NRA's Kids LiveWell program has grown from 19 restaurant brands to 150, with 42,000 U.S.  -More

JOBS & CAREERS

Posting a job or finding a job starts here at FohBoh. Call us about special $50 posting packages to syndicate across all major jobs boards.

National News

Ward Whitworth Named President for On The Border Mexican Grill

On The Border Mexican Grill & Cantina, which was recently acquired by Border Holdings, LLC, an affiliate of Argonne Capital Group, today announced the appointment of Ward Whitworth as President of On The Border.

The Melting Pot Targets Houston and El Paso, Texas for Franchise Expansion

Restaurants, Inc. announced today that it is actively seeking franchisees to expand its presence throughout the Lone Star State, naming El Paso and Houston as target markets for future franchise development.

Encore Restaurants Purchases 8 Existing Five Guys Restaurants, Plans to Develop 45 More

Encore Restaurants, LLC, a subsidiary of Dallas-based Encore Enterprises, Inc., has announced the purchase of eight existing Five Guys Burgers and Fries restaurants across central California including Elk Grove, Fresno, Lodi, Natomas, Roseville, Stockton, Tracy, and West Sacramento.

Takeout Orders to Hotels Jumped 125% in Popularity in Last Three Years

For many Americans, hotel room service is considered a travel luxury; however, data from PFK Hospitality Research1 suggests that room service revenues fell 9.5 percent from 2007 to 2012, with some hotels shuttering unprofitable operations altogether.

National Restaurant Association Praises House and Senate Commerce Committee Passage of Travel Promotion Act

Yesterday the National Restaurant Association (NRA) praised the House passage and Senate Commerce Committee markup of the Travel Promotion, Enhancement and Modernization Act of 2014. The bipartisan legislation reauthorizes Brand USA, the nation’s first global marketing campaign, to promote the United States as a destination for international travelers.

CROWD FUNDING

If you are looking for capital to start or grow your restaurant, create the next 501c3, develop and launch the next app for the restaurant industry,or want to help your peers in some meaningful way, we want to know about it.

TED TALKS VIDEO

TED: Ze Frank: Are you human? - Ze Frank (2014)

Have you ever wondered: Am I a human being? Ze Frank suggests a series of simple questions that will determine this. Please relax and follow the prompts. Let's begin …

TED: Heather Barnett: What humans can learn from semi-intelligent slime - Heather Barnett (2014)

Inspired by biological design and self-organizing systems, artist Heather Barnett co-creates with physarum polycephalum, a eukaryotic microorganism that lives in cool, moist areas. What can people learn from the semi-intelligent slime mold? Watch this talk to find out.

TED: Shih Chieh Huang: Sculptures that’d be at home in the deep sea - Shih Chieh Huang (2014)

When he was young, artist Shih Chieh Huang loved taking toys apart and perusing the aisles of night markets in Taiwan for unexpected objects. Today, this TED Fellow creates madcap sculptures that seem to have a life of their own—with eyes that blink, tentacles that unfurl and parts that light up like bioluminescent sea creatures.

TED: Nikolai Begg: A tool to fix one of the most dangerous moments in surgery - Nikolai Begg (2013)

Surgeons are required every day to puncture human skin before procedures — with the risk of damaging what's on the other side. In a fascinating talk, find out how mechanical engineer Nikolai Begg is using physics to update an important medical device, called the trocar, and improve one of the most dangerous moments in many common surgeries.

© 2014   Created by FohBoh.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service