Other then recruiters I am looking to find out the following related to Linkedin.
1. Are you finding it of value?
2. How did you learn to use it?
3. How much time do you spending using it.
4. What are you using it to do?
5. Would you like to build a group focused on using it more effectively?

Views: 3

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1. I have added some contacts to my network and have been approached with some opportunities because of it.
2. Learned most on my own and by working with some other social networking buddies
3. Not a ton....I check in on it every other day and once or twice a month I do some searching for connections I have made in other places to see if I can link up with them there also
4. More of a resume posting
5. Can't hurt to get better at all levels of social media. Anything that gets me more prepared for the future.

Thanks Mel!
Thanks for the input Andy. If you know anyone else who uses LInkedin at all I would love their input also.
1. Not much value for me for Linked In, but I'm not using it to build my network. Facebook is working a great deal for me in terms of networking and keeping in touch. Linked In is much more formal and seems to be more of a headhunters resource. If I were looking for a new job, I would develop my profile on Linked In much more carefully.

2. Just feeling my way around it.

3. No time at all.

4. I'm just really using it to stay in touch with family who are not on facebook or other social media.

5. Not really that interested in building a group, but if there was a fact sheet on how to make use of it more effectively available I'd be interested.

Thanks for the topic!
Matt thanks for the input if you please let others know about the topic if you don't mind.
The user base is both broad and deep, perhaps is the most dynamic and user friendly site out there. I’ve found it to be fun and entertaining, the one thing that bugs me a bit is people use the site to sell their wares, if you know what I mean. I use it too find people mostly, literally with over 12 million members it’s a wonderful platform for reconnecting with people. I’ve found people and some have found me, in fact today one contacted with me when he saw my name on a group. This is a wonderful site, very easy to use and with some wonderful groups to lean and explore. My chief complaints are, number one too many people selling their goods and services and it is not specific too our industry, which is the reason I’m on FohBoh.
1) Yes
2) Played with it and found tutorials
3) about 5 hours a week
4) People and job search
5)Yes, that would be great
I started just filling out all the information and it became very complicated to waste my time. Am I wrong?
You are not wrong. It is not worth your time unless you have a clear objective of why you would want to be their. To join just to join or because you get some invites is a great waste of time. Pick the places you want to spend your time which will give you the greatest return to help you reach your goals.
My restaurant always needs something and takes my time and my garden as well. All the rose bushes are full of buds.
You're right.
Mel,

I am trying to network on LinkedIn in an effort to build my business and form connections, but find it frustrating due to restrictions of the site itself, and some of the groups.

I realize many people have abused and spammed and have exercised prudence and respect in my use of the site.

I'm not one of those looking for 1000's of connections, or membership in 100's of groups. As a small business, with limited marketing capital, I had hoped that it would be an avenue to let people know I exist.

If you have ideas on more effective utilization, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Paul Green
Hello, Paul ,how are you?
i thank you for telling me about linkedin, but, yes it is complicated.
Paul: just a couple of quick questions for you to answer.
1. What is your reason for being on LinkedIn
2. If you could connect with anyone in the world who would you want to connect with and why.
3. Why would they want to connect with you?
4. How much time do you want to invest?
5. Are you looking for personal or business connections?

The answers to these questions will help determine if you should invest the time and effort.

Mel
Being a software person, here's another viewpoint on how it can be useful.

Reputation Management - setting up a personal or company profile on linkedin will usually rank highly on Yahoo/Google/MSN searches for your company or name as it is a highly trusted site. So if there is a bad review about you or your restaurant, your public profile on linkedin can "push down" that review in the search engine results. If you get enough links like this, you can hopefully push that negative review to page 2 where few people will see it.

Just my 2 cents...

RSS

Advertisments

DEPARTMENTS

Social Wine Club for Craft Wineries

Smartbrief

QSRs squeeze into unconventional locations

Nontraditonal quickservice units are popping up wherever people are, moving beyond street-side and mall locations to military -More

Optimize efficiency with an applicant tracking system

Businesses increasingly are turning to software programs that make applicant tracking more efficient.  -More

Read the NRA statement on NLRB's joint employer decision

-More

All-new pasta dish features Grand Cru® Alpine-style cheese
Roth® Grand Cru® cheeses have a complex and full-bodied flavor that's crafted to achieve excellence in your menu applications. Try it in Manicotti en Croute with Brandied Fig Dipping Sauce. This elegant and inventive dish recently won our recipe contest for postsecondary culinary students, and is perfect as a sophisticated appetizer, passed hors d'oeuvre or savory dessert.

JOBS & CAREERS

Posting a job or finding a job starts here at FohBoh. Call us about special $50 posting packages to syndicate across all major jobs boards.

National News

Darden Announces Leadership Succession Plan

Darden Restaurants, Inc. (NYSE: DRI) announced that Clarence Otis is stepping down as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the Company. Darden's Board of Directors has appointed the Company's current Independent Lead Director, Charles A. Ledsinger, Jr., as Independent Non-Executive Chairman of the Board, effective immediately. The Company also announced that it has amended its corporate governance policies to provide for the separation of the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer roles.

National Restaurant Association Statement on NLRB Joint Employer Decision

Today the National Restaurant Association issued the following statement regarding the National Labor Relations Board’s (NLRB) decision asserting McDonald’s Corporation is a joint employer of its franchisees:

National Restaurant Association Issues Support for Clearer ACA Definition of Seasonal Employment

The bipartisan legislation will align the definitions of seasonal employment in the Affordable Care Act and streamline the applicable large employer determination process.

Rising India, Inc. Announces Acquisition Strategy Toward a Sizable Slice of the QSR Pizza Pie

Rising India, Inc. (OTC: RSII), announces today it will immediately begin work toward the acquisition of up to 5 profitable stores in the popular Quick Serve Pizza Restaurant segment. Current targets are currently earning about $450,000 in revenues per year, per store. Acquisition of targets would provide immediate cash flow identified from profitable longstanding, absentee owner operations with proven model success.

Panera Bread Company Reports Q2 2014 Diluted EPS of $1.82

Q2 2014 Revenue increased 7% to $631 million - Q2 2014 Company-owned comparable net bakery-cafe transactions up 0.4%

CROWD FUNDING

If you are looking for capital to start or grow your restaurant, create the next 501c3, develop and launch the next app for the restaurant industry,or want to help your peers in some meaningful way, we want to know about it.

TED TALKS VIDEO

TED: Ze Frank: Are you human? - Ze Frank (2014)

Have you ever wondered: Am I a human being? Ze Frank suggests a series of simple questions that will determine this. Please relax and follow the prompts. Let's begin …

TED: Heather Barnett: What humans can learn from semi-intelligent slime - Heather Barnett (2014)

Inspired by biological design and self-organizing systems, artist Heather Barnett co-creates with physarum polycephalum, a eukaryotic microorganism that lives in cool, moist areas. What can people learn from the semi-intelligent slime mold? Watch this talk to find out.

TED: Shih Chieh Huang: Sculptures that’d be at home in the deep sea - Shih Chieh Huang (2014)

When he was young, artist Shih Chieh Huang loved taking toys apart and perusing the aisles of night markets in Taiwan for unexpected objects. Today, this TED Fellow creates madcap sculptures that seem to have a life of their own—with eyes that blink, tentacles that unfurl and parts that light up like bioluminescent sea creatures.

TED: Nikolai Begg: A tool to fix one of the most dangerous moments in surgery - Nikolai Begg (2013)

Surgeons are required every day to puncture human skin before procedures — with the risk of damaging what's on the other side. In a fascinating talk, find out how mechanical engineer Nikolai Begg is using physics to update an important medical device, called the trocar, and improve one of the most dangerous moments in many common surgeries.

© 2014   Created by FohBoh.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service