Forum

Mass Media Advertising is Dead

Mass media advertising - radio - newspaper and even TV is gone. The time has come to stop spending to get nothing. Let's face it - the place to be is on the web or face to face. Refocus on your four walls and getting involved in your local community. And while you are at it follow this link to an amazing e-book by David Meerman Scott (just out today) that explores the amazing power of connecting with your customers using technology...http://www.davidmeermanscott.com/documents/Marketing_ROI.pdf

You need to be a member of FOHBOH to add comments!

Join FOHBOH

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If not dead, certainly dyeing. I've said for a long time (and gotten a lot of strange looks) that the ROI on print advertising does not justify the cost. I always propose the following comparison: instead of paying the $350 for an ad in Friday's newspaper, take a fraction of that to personally pour a glass of wine or offer a complimentary dessert to a selection of customers in your dining room on Saturday night. For $100 in net cost, you can get a ton more mileage in terms of repeat business and positive word of mouth than that ad would have generated. It's more personal, and gives you the opportunity to develop relationships face to face. And if you are good enough to create powerful positive word of mouth, then don't miss the opportunity to leverage it by managing your online presence. Good post Mary, welcome to my world! - Jim Kohn, www.theCustomerServicesolution.com
    • I couldn't agree more with you about using the money for the print add to WOW your guests instead!

Your website is great! Are you a member of SWOM? You should check it out and join http://theswom.ning.com/

Cheers!
      M
  • We are transitional with media. The blanket lambaste of media is a bit shortsighted. Newspapers will be gone in a decade. TV is highly fragmented - this is a bonus in setting rate structures and targeting. Radio is still fun and highly pliable for small budget and local ad promotion. The variable is the size of the advertiser and their target audience. Yes, tech is hot and growing. We will all be moving larger percentages of our budget to digital. I can make or kill a business with traditional media. The same holds true for digital. There is a great advantage in that we have more tools to work with... Great topic.
  • We are transitional with media. The blanket lambaste of media is a bit shortsighted. Newspapers will be gone in a decade. TV is highly fragmented - this is a bonus in setting rate structures and targeting. Radio is still fun and highly pliable for small budget and local ad promotion. The variable is the size of the advertiser and their target audience. Yes, tech is hot and growing. We will all be moving larger percentages of our budget to digital. I can make or kill a business with traditional media. The same holds true for digital. There is a great advantage in that we have more tools to work with... Great topic.
    • Hi Steven,

Thanks for taking the time to add to the conversation. Great insight! It will be interesting to see what the future holds for advertising. Cheers!
  • Mary,

Yes and no. E mail amrketing and a web presence(and social media) are the waveof now and for
    the forseeable future. However, the mainstream media (newspaper, tv and radio) are going to have to do more to adapt to the trend. Many radio stations have done "listener appreciation" events, and
    sometimes combine with an in person advertising program. Some papers put ads on their web site,
    as do tv and radio stations' web sites. The days of just a radio ad :"Get a free tamale with every two
    at Teddy's Tamale Stand" are essentially over.

Networking and social media is the new norm,even in advertising.
    • Couldn't agree more - thanks for the great post! = )
  • I agree with you 100%. It's about providing hospitality and service with respect and warmth and smiles. It's not a hard concept to grasp. See my most recent blog post. I also recommend Danny Meyer's book: Setting the Table. Thanks for the link. It's much appreciated.
This reply was deleted.

Advertise