Forum

Replies

• Hello!

I have hundreds of years of experience in this area! Please please believe me suggestive selling is KEY!!! The server should have tasted everything on the menu & should suggest what ever they like the most themselves because if it is a personal opinion it will be sincere. It could make or break your business!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sincerely,
    Patti xoxoxo
  • Specials should always be described with pride and enthusiasm - why would you not? From a restaurant standpoint, I would suggest eliminating the very term, "suggestive selling".
    I prefer, "give the guest the opportunity to spend as much as s/he wants". I also think that painting a word picture enhances the guest experience and the restaurant's bottom line.Think about the difference between, "Anything to drink?" and "Would you like a frosty margarita to go with those fish tacos?" The first is from an automaton, the second is personal and interactive. Consider the words, "will that be all" and "Here's our dessert menu. Everything is made on premise from scratch. If you like chocolate, the Death by Chocolate is, excuse the pun, killer". Notice I used the word "you" in that last sentence, not "I". As a customer, I don't care what my skinny 22 year old server' s favorite is, I want to know if the dish is something I am going to enjoy.
  • I love it when they suggest whats really good and stop me from buying something that maybe needs work.
  • As a server, this is the best way to give yourself a raise. Plus I always found selling to be fun, even with the toughest guests, perhaps even especially the tough ones. One important point is the sincerity and always sell what you believe in. If today's special isn't a winner, then pick something that you sincerely things is a great item.

As a guest, I like to know what the staff think are especially good items. Good product knowledge tells me that the management "is on it" and the their is good dialog between the kitchen and FOH.
  • When money has been tight, and I was focused on budgeting, I still found myself eating in restaurants. Why? Because we all need food. While deciding to "splurge" at a restaurant, my mind wrestles between my body's hunger and my wallet's budget. I frequently decide to eat out. My mind is able to legitimize dining out, with the subtle understanding of doing it cheaply, meaning no beverage, and a low-mid priced meal. When a server is not interactive and not suggestively selling, my plan succeeds. But when a server has a great attitude and is softly suggesting items, my plan tends to fail. My $10 meal suddenly becomes $20, and the increased spending rarely bothers me. There is power in how a server can set the tone. I can walk into a restaurant feeling cheap, but hungry. But a server's suggestive selling can provide just the spark to change my thinking. Suddenly, I think that beverage sounds nice, and "don't I deserve a soda?" (even though it costs more than what I would pay for a 12 pack of soda at the grocery store.) Next, that $12 entree sounds so much better than that $8 entree, and you figure "it's only $4 more, and she did recommend it." My $10 meal suddenly becomes $20, and the increased spending rarely triggers a response. Even though my plan had failed; I mean "What plan?"

People that enter your restaurant are generally not there with their last $10. And once we are in your seat, we want to feel good if the server seems to feel good. And generally that involves splurging.
  • for bartenders! how do you up-sell a dry martini???????
  • I don't mind the suggestive selling especially when done right .. If I am not interested I just say No Thanks ! If you have a server that is subtle and knows the appropriate Item to suggest its great .. So if I say I want a banana pudding and the server suggests their best selling banana desert ..that's great .
  • As a former server, I know the drill and assume that its a pricy option. Sometimes I have the sneaking suspicion that its a repackaged version of what didn't sell well over the weekend. What I don't like is that they never tell you the price and its ALWAYS on the high end. If the server mentioned the price, its prevents it from coming across as an upsell to me. You could minimize the chances of it coming across as an upsell by putting a card on the table that outlined the specials and mentioned the price. Then it wouldn't feel like they're trying to steer you into spending more.
  • Suggestive selling benefits not only the restaurant but the server as well. When I do my FOH training I show them "server math" If a server pitches an app dessert and martini and sells 1 extra drink on top they will give themselves an 8k a year raise. math as follows average nite is 20 tickets, operates a 50% close ratio on 1 person per table on app des OR martini and sell 1 extra drink will be a $20 add on per table. figure a 4 day work wk (avg) means increased sales of $800 for the week which translates to $160 in increased tips for the week meaning annual "self raise" of 8320 per year for server and increased revenue of 41600 for the restaurant..yea thats per server...upsell is the shit! And yes I can train your staff to do this 717.873.9981
    • to drew pfafflin, can u share your knowledge about..:proactive selling, utilizing suggestive selling techniques for servers."....i'm always thriving to be a great and succesful food server! sincerely, and many thanks!
This reply was deleted.

Advertise