Will Restaurants' Posting Nutrition Info Help Fight Obesity?

What are your thoughts on this subject and the trend to more healthy menu choices?

Tags: nutrition, obesity, restaurants

Views: 10

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I used to get a Dunkin' Donuts muffin everyday with my coffee, thinking muffins were a healthier alternative to bagels. When I was in NYC 2 years ago I saw the calorie postings at the DD in Penn Station. I was flabbergasted at the calories on those muffins, and I haven't had one since! so yes, I think the posting will help.
I had the same experience. I wonder how sales of muffins are going lately.
I was at a marketing seminar the other day and the subject of "Heart Attack Grill" came up.
It's a restaurant in the Phoenix, AZ area.

Quadruple Bypass burgers, sugary caffeine loaded colas. No tea, coffee or diet drinks.
If a person weighs 350 lbs or more the meal is free.
I saw a report on that place on TV recently. Once in a while it's OK but if you go there on a regular basis you will be 350 lbs before long.
I'd agree with you there !
I'm not the one to listen to. I just got home from a Mexican restaurant and what I ate is not on my diet plan. Just need a little over 100 lbs for a free meal in AZ.
I put some calories and prices that I found on http://www.youngandfoodish.com into a spreadsheet.

What stunned me is that there seemed to be three straight lines relating caloreis to price.

First we have the obvious junk food - more of it the more you pay at at 0.5c per calorie if I remember

Then the meat based meals at about 1c per calorie.

Then the steakrolls and healthy food at 3c per calorie (about 15.00 per portion).

This is the challenge- to feed people for a reasonable price without damaging their health.

That's what the data might do.

I'd be interested in your thoughts.
Last night on Kitchen Nightmares Chef Ramsay asked the contestants to come up with a three course meal of 700 calories. They were able to do it after about 20 minutes of trial and error. It can be done.
Probably not. Maintaining a healthy weight is the result of good habits carried out through every aspect of one's life. People aren't getting all their calories at restaurants and restaurants aren't forcing folks to sit on their a**es all day long.

Last year, I judged a restaurant business plan competition at Cornell and learned that many of the the young (20 something) future restaurateurs were interested in finding a way to translate healthful eating into profitable dining concepts. As with many aspects of our lives, I believe that consumer demand, not government pressure will be the greatest influence on restaurant eating habits in the future.

Consumer groups have been pushing menu labeling legislation for years, and have finally gotten traction in certain cities and state, with the potential to impose a great financial burden on a strapped industry. I believe the current and proposed legislation in this area is little more than nanny government as usual (with California leading the way -- surprise). Fortunately -- for smaller operators, at least -- most of the state and proposed federal restaurant nutritional disclosure legislation targets the medium to large chains (20 or more units under the same trade name), which can afford to analyze their menus.

The MEAL Act and the LEAN Act, two competing federal menu labeling bills differ significantly in how they would address the issue. You might check out the October 2009 issue of Restaurant Startup & Growth magazine. Fellow hospitality industry attorney David Denney (we're the ones on your side -- I think) has authored a pretty decent primer on the current legal environment in this area. (Is this considered spamming?) Anyway, you might find it interesting and informative.
Just got this article and it shows that the consumers are beginning to notice.

Calorie Count Study Gives Diners Pause

By Nanci Hellmich, USA TODAY
People who used the calorie information available at fast-food chain restaurants in New York City bought 106 fewer calories’ worth of food at lunch than those who didn’t see or use the information, a study shows.

Researchers at the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene set out to analyze the impact of the city’s menu labeling law, which went into effect in March 2008 and required chain restaurants to post calories on menu boards.

The researchers surveyed more than 10,000 diners at 275 locations of the top fast-food and coffee-chain restaurants in the spring of 2007, and then more than 12,000 people again this spring. Customers disclosed their register receipts and completed brief questionnaires.

Among the findings reported here Monday at the annual meeting of the Obesity Society, a group of weight-loss researchers and professionals:

•15% of customers say they used the calorie information at lunch; 56% say they saw it.

•Those who used the information purchased an average of 754 calories’ worth of food at lunch in 2009; those who didn’t see or use the information bought 860 calories’ worth of food.

•Those who saw and used the information consumed 152 fewer calories at hamburger chains and 73 fewer calories at sandwich chains compared with everyone else.

•At coffee shops, total calories purchased dropped from 260 in 2007 to 237 calories in 2009.

•The overall calories purchased decreased at nine chains between 2007 and 2009, including dropping significantly at McDonald’s, Au Bon Pain, KFC and Starbucks.

•The calories from foods purchased at Subway increased significantly, possibly because diners were purchasing a special deal on 12-inch sandwiches.

“A growing number of consumers are using this information and making lower-calorie purchases,” says Lynn Silver, assistant commissioner of NYC’s Bureau of Chronic Disease Prevention and Control. “We know that behavior changes take time. We hope consumers increasingly use this information to make healthier choices and that companies will offer more healthful choices and more appropriate portion sizes.”

The research was funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and New York City.

RSS

Advertisments

DEPARTMENTS

Social Wine Club for Craft Wineries

Smartbrief

Red Lobster crafts new, high-end image

Red Lobster will nix low-price specials and focus on flourishes like plating in order to reshape itself as a cut above dine-i -More

The Year of the Instagram Strategy
Managing the Instagram channel has become a strategic imperative for any brand or small business, and the urgency grows daily along with its user base. During this webinar on August 12 you'll hear how brands such as Disneyland Resort, JCPenney, and The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf are utilizing this platform to connect with their customers in an authentic, relevant way. Register today!

The tweet's the thing

Everyone’s atwitter about the NRA's Kids LiveWell Twitter party, held in celebration of the program’s third anniv -More

Arby's meaty campaign highlights protein lineup

Arby's new campaign, "We have the meats!," focuses on the chain's new limited-time menu offering, the Mega Meat Stack, which  -More

JOBS & CAREERS

Posting a job or finding a job starts here at FohBoh. Call us about special $50 posting packages to syndicate across all major jobs boards.

National News

Restaurant Trends - Growing And Emerging Concepts - Change and Activity July 29, 2014

Update from Restaurantchains.net on growing and emerging restaurant concepts

Gen Z, the First True Digital Generation, Represents the Future Foodservice Consumer

Gen Z, the first true digital generation, represents the future foodservice consumer. They're a generation on the move that strongly prioritizes speed of service, technology, and having what they want, when they want it. Millennials, more so than older generations, prefer to visit restaurants that offer new and unique foods and flavors. Gen X and Boomers converge on several preferences—such as the importance of a convenient location.

Red Robin Gourmet Burgers Celebrates Its 500th New Restaurant Opening

Red Robin's 500th new restaurant opening will open on Aug. 4 at 11 a.m., in Milpitas, Calif. at the Great Mall of the Bay Area.

Darden Completes Sale Of Red Lobster To Golden Gate Capital

Darden Restaurants, Inc. (NYSE: DRI) and Golden Gate Capital today announced that Golden Gate has completed the acquisition of the Red Lobster business and certain other related assets and assumed liabilities for approximately $2.1 billion in cash.

Dunkin' Donuts Announces Plans For Seven New Restaurants In Duluth, Minnesota With New Franchisees Brian And Sharon Weidendorf

Dunkin' Donuts announced today the signing of a multi-unit store development agreement with new franchisees, Brian and Sharon Weidendorf, to develop seven restaurants in Duluth, Minnesota and the surrounding areas. The first restaurant is planned to open in spring 2015.

CROWD FUNDING

If you are looking for capital to start or grow your restaurant, create the next 501c3, develop and launch the next app for the restaurant industry,or want to help your peers in some meaningful way, we want to know about it.

TED TALKS VIDEO

TED: Ze Frank: Are you human? - Ze Frank (2014)

Have you ever wondered: Am I a human being? Ze Frank suggests a series of simple questions that will determine this. Please relax and follow the prompts. Let's begin …

TED: Heather Barnett: What humans can learn from semi-intelligent slime - Heather Barnett (2014)

Inspired by biological design and self-organizing systems, artist Heather Barnett co-creates with physarum polycephalum, a eukaryotic microorganism that lives in cool, moist areas. What can people learn from the semi-intelligent slime mold? Watch this talk to find out.

TED: Shih Chieh Huang: Sculptures that’d be at home in the deep sea - Shih Chieh Huang (2014)

When he was young, artist Shih Chieh Huang loved taking toys apart and perusing the aisles of night markets in Taiwan for unexpected objects. Today, this TED Fellow creates madcap sculptures that seem to have a life of their own—with eyes that blink, tentacles that unfurl and parts that light up like bioluminescent sea creatures.

TED: Nikolai Begg: A tool to fix one of the most dangerous moments in surgery - Nikolai Begg (2013)

Surgeons are required every day to puncture human skin before procedures — with the risk of damaging what's on the other side. In a fascinating talk, find out how mechanical engineer Nikolai Begg is using physics to update an important medical device, called the trocar, and improve one of the most dangerous moments in many common surgeries.

© 2014   Created by FohBoh.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service