Will Restaurants' Posting Nutrition Info Help Fight Obesity?

What are your thoughts on this subject and the trend to more healthy menu choices?

Tags: nutrition, obesity, restaurants

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Would you be deterred from ordering something because of the number of calories or amount of fat, sodium or sugar? I really wonder if that will fight obesity as much as consumers choosing to fight it without prodding because of all the messages everywhere these days about eating healthier. I'm sure I would not refrain from ordering a dessert because of the calorie count, but then again, I did recently choose one bottled peanut sauce over another because of the sodium content!
I have during certain periods in my life, now being one of them, made my food choices on calories, fat content salt and sugar content. As you get older you tend to make decisions that way. With the Baby Boomers reaching that age it seems there will be more choices or at least more information available on menus.
I expect there will be other states following California's lead as well.
With the population of Florida being Boomers I would expect Florida to do so but I don't see it happening. California is much more progressive.
I agree, but the boomers are all across the country and will be making a major mark on this industry, I think. Many will want to continue working past retirement age. Many will be health-conscious and want that concern reflected in menus.
Generation Y is also very aware of the health risks associated with certain types of food. I am 21 years old, and very aware of what goes into my body, among my oeers I am not alone. This could become a nationwide trend among a vast demographic plane.
I don't think it will help fight Obesity . The Surgeon Generals warning is on Cigarette Packs but lot of people still smoke . People will eventually get used to seeing the Nutrition Info and they will just ignore it .
As a former high school nutrition teacher, I found that students and parents alike didn't know a carbohydrate from a fat. Calorie count was a 4-letter word. What would help the entire restaurant industry the very most is to cut portion sizes to a realistic amount. In our ProStart national food contests, we restrict protein to 4-6 ounces, starch to 2 - 3 ounces and vegetables to 2 - 3 ounces. Even the dinner plate sizes are larger these days. We are simply eating too much food; even a fast food burger eaten occasionally can be "allowed" in a nutrient conscious diet. A picture is worth a thousand words: how about pictures of dinner plates with great presentations of a balanced meal instead of a "skillet" full of food. And, why isn't the industry using more herbs and spices to enhance flavor instead of depending on fat? How about fat free or lower fat sauce ingriedients? There are so many ways to enhance the nutritional content of good food but it does take time, effort, skill and desire.
As a journalist, I am, seeing a lot of what you're suggesting being done by contract foodservice management companies such as Unidine Corp. or Parkhurst Dining Services. Interesting that the non-commercial side of the industry seems to be ahead of the curve on this -
This idea that we need to post nutritional information is already getting annoying. I live in Tampa, FL and we also had a news story that raised the issue that there sould be an ingredients list on all menu items. I think that if a restaurant wants to post nutritional information because they are healtier, more power to them. I think though, that we can give the public enough credit that they will realize that the buttermilk fried chicken with southern gravy is going to be full of fat. As far as an ingredients list, or even a basic nutritional understanding, restaurants have a great way to let people who want to know these things stay informed. The waitstaff. Unlike prepackaged foods, restaurants have the advantage of sending representatives of their food to each and every customer. Adding the option of a server providing some nutritional information to a guest who asks seems like it might be the next step in outstanding customer service.
Part of the problem is the consumers themselves.
Numerous market research companies have done countless consumer surveys about healthier offerings in restaurants.
Just about everyone asked said they wanted to see more offerings of healthy foods.

But somehow, they seem to be speaking for others and not themselves. Just because they want to see healthier items on the menu doesn't mean that they are going to purchase them.

When people go out to eat, even if it's not a special occasion, they are going to indulge.
Nutritional information will be ignored.

Another problem is made from scratch to order type restaurants. After spending all that money on nutritional analysis, if a chef puts a little more seasoning on a dish...or a little less, the info becomes useless. If a little too much mayo gets spread on a sandwich, a little extra cheese on a burger etc.

So some activist with a team of lawyers will run around and buy a bunch of food from restaurants they don't like (or have deep pockets) and will have them analyzed for accuracy......and it won't be....and they will sue....and they will probably win.
I absolutely agree with you that demand may not be as great as indicated by the public, that is why I am also seeking to discover how industry professionals feel about the issue as it pertains to the clientel in their own establishments. If you wouldn't mind I would love to get your feedback on my brief survey ( no more than 5 minutes I promise!) Thanks a lot.
http://libtools.paulsmiths.edu/phpesp/public/survey.php?name=Restua...

RSS

Advertisments

DEPARTMENTS

Social Wine Club for Craft Wineries

Smartbrief

Taco Bell takes on fast casual with U.S. Taco Co.

Taco Bell will test a new fast-casual concept called U.S. Taco Co.  -More

Avocados From Mexico: All New Recipe Brochure
Looking for the sweet spot between indulgence and fresh appeal? Say yes to fresh Avocados from Mexico, all year long. So rich and creamy, use them as a substitute for mayo to create a craveable crab salad sandwich that will make others green with envy. Discover more culinary inspirations and recipes here!

Ronald McDonald gets a makeover for social media debut

Ronald McDonald is giving off less of a clown vibe with a makeover that keeps the color scheme but adds a blazer, a yellow ve -More

Animal fats ramp up flavor

Chicago hot spots are serving up savory dishes flavored with animal fats such as Stephanie Izard's confit goat belly at Girl  -More

JOBS & CAREERS

Posting a job or finding a job starts here at FohBoh. Call us about special $25 posting packages to syndicate across all major jobs boards.

National News

Dunkin' Brands Reports First Quarter 2014 Results

Dunkin' Donuts U.S. comparable store sales growth of 1.2% - Added 96 net new restaurants worldwide including 69 net new Dunkin' Donuts in the U.S. - Revenue increased 6.2%

Hurricane Grill & Wings Signs Franchise And Multi-Unit Development Agreements For Additional 22 Units

Hurricane Grill & Wings, a restaurant franchise known for its never-frozen jumbo wings and more than 35 signature flavors, announced today the signing of five multi-unit development agreements, representing 22 new locations. The Florida-based brand opened two locations in early 2014, with plans for a total of 14 new units by the end of the year.

Dunkin' Donuts Announces Plans For 20 New Restaurants In South Orange County And The San Fernando Valley

Dunkin' Donuts announced today the signing of multi-unit store development agreements with two new franchise groups to develop 20 new restaurants in South Orange County and the San Fernando Valley area over the next several years.

Brinker International Reports Increases In Third Quarter Fiscal 2014 EPS And Comparable Restaurant Sales

Earnings per diluted share, excluding special items, increased 16.7 percent to $0.84 compared to $0.72 for the third quarter of fiscal 2013

Togo's Inks Deals In Idaho And Utah To Develop 13 New Restaurants

Togo's Eateries, Inc. announced it has signed franchise agreements to develop five restaurants in Eastern Idaho and eight locations in Salt Lake City, Utah. In 2014, the brand will also mark its entry into Colorado, Idaho, and Utah with restaurant openings planned over the next few months.

CROWD FUNDING

If you are looking for capital to start or grow your restaurant, create the next 501c3, develop and launch the next app for the restaurant industry,or want to help your peers in some meaningful way, we want to know about it.

TED TALKS VIDEO

TED: James Patten: The best computer interface? Maybe ... your hands - James Patten (2013)

"The computer is an incredibly powerful means of creative expression," says designer and TED Fellow James Patten. But right now, we interact with computers, mainly, by typing and tapping. In this nifty talk and demo, Patten imagines a more visceral, physical way to bring your thoughts and ideas to life in the digital world, taking the computer interface off the screen and putting it into your hands.

TED: Hamish Jolly: A shark-deterrent wetsuit (and it's not what you think) - Hamish Jolly (2013)

Hamish Jolly, an ocean swimmer in Australia, wanted a wetsuit that would deter a curious shark from mistaking him for a potential source of nourishment. (Which, statistically, is rare, but certainly a fate worth avoiding.) Working with a team of scientists, he and his friends came up with a fresh approach — not a shark cage, not a suit of chain-mail, but a sleek suit that taps our growing understanding of shark vision.

TED: Michel Laberge: How synchronized hammer strikes could generate nuclear fusion - Michel Laberge (2014)

Our energy future depends on nuclear fusion, says Michel Laberge. The plasma physicist runs a small company with a big idea for a new type of nuclear reactor that could produce clean, cheap energy. His secret recipe? High speeds, scorching temperatures and crushing pressure. In this hopeful talk, he explains how nuclear fusion might be just around the corner.

TED: Sarah Lewis: Embrace the near win - Sarah Lewis (2014)

At her first museum job, art historian Sarah Lewis noticed something important about an artist she was studying: Not every artwork was a total masterpiece. She asks us to consider the role of the almost-failure, the near win, in our own lives. In our pursuit of success and mastery, is it actually our near wins that push us forward?

© 2014   Created by FohBoh.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service