Do vehicles wrapped in advertising sway your decision-making?

These days I see a lot of vehicles wrapped in advertising. You know, those public transportation buses going down the road or the VW bugs wrapped in Geek Squad advertising. I even see boats with wrap on the sports channels. I would like to know if this type of advertising works? When you see a semi covered with a hamburger and french fries, do you stop at the next McDonald's? If you see a van covered with Moe's, do you order Mexican for lunch? Does it take something this big to get your attention or does the old-style car topper like many companies use, still work?

Views: 3

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wrapped cars work, once you see it, advertising is done...you can't avoid looking and reading, right??
I wouldn't say it immediately "sways" me one way or the other, but I do notice those ads and every little bit counts. A good-to-great wrap costs from $1500-$3000+/- depending on size, color, vehicle type, etc... Also, they last a long time and leaves your vehicle unimpaired if installed properly by a pro. Compare that to direct mail, print ads, radio & TV and you'll find it to be much less expensive. However, it's more of a complement to other forms of marketing versus being the one and only source. Don't expect big returns from wraps, but it definitley wouldn't hurt.

Sorry, I have to cut this short. A Scion just drove by me with a hamburger wrap the size of a queen mattress and I haven't had dinner yet.

Cheers!
That's funny...great info... I've considered wrapping my VW (although at 170k miles, I'm not sure how long it will last)..but i think it makes a big branding punch...especially those who may have heard of your place, but haven't gotten there yet?

2 cents...what it's worth.
That's great! It is 6am here and all of a sudden I am hungry for a burger the size of my front door!
Thanks for the feedback.
I've seen a few of these vehicles around. We're all familiar with the buses, but I am wondering if thecars didn't get started somehow by the Oscar Mayer "weinermobile".

That's classic advertising.
They have not swayed me into purchasing from or visiting that particular company. In the case of food, however, the wrap may stimulate me to order pizza later, for instance. But I would still probably choose the chain I always visit.
In my opinion they both work but only as part of a fully intergrated advertising campaign. I Publish Today's Restaurant News and sell advertising to companies that supply restaurants in Florida and Texas. I remember getting a new ad from a company that provides bulk cooking oil systems and in the ad they had their logo. A few days later I saw a truck go by with their logo on it. If I had not seen the printed ad I would never have taken notice of the truck ad. The brand recognition was made between the two events.. Advertising works in many way that most people don't realize. I try to educate people as to how advertising works and the bottom line is that a good or a bad ad(within reason) can't hurt you.
What's funny is I have called the number for some of the ones I see and they say it's the wrong number or no one calls me back...

I think it's more of a subconscious thing.... when you think of that category- it's the 1st thing you think of... at least I do.
Like David, I wouldn't say it sways my decision either way but it's an effective tool for getting the brand in front of people.

From a consumer perspective, it's kind of a pain though when you see an eye-catching business on a car or van. We're driving so it's not like we can just write down the info we see. I've tried it. Not too safe and I can't even remember what those businesses are now!
I think Judy, Howard, and David nailed it (bottom to top, there). It's not likely to make someone say "Eh, a burger, I will go get one!" However, it's another "touch" that the advertiser gets -- and in some ways, you're captive.

Get stuck behind one in traffic? You'll see nothing but their advertisement until you change lanes, or one of you turns off the road. Pass one, and it's equally as effective as a billboard. And, from an ROI perspective, it's not that expensive to get your car completely done up - a few hundred dollars - either for your product, or your restaurant, bar, grill, hotel, or other business.

I personally run into Moe's, Steak Express, Quiznos, and Jimmy Johns vehicles all the time. I eat at Quiznos and Jimmy Johns all the time. Steak Express and Moes? Not so much.... Maybe their vehicles aren't as nice?
Quick tips for anyone considering doing a bus wrap - there are 2 audiences you're aiming at:
1. Pedestrians of the pavement
Key information like phone numbers need to be at eye height
Keep it simple. Repeat. Repeat. It's not a press ad, it's a moving target!
2. Other drivers
Unless they are in a truck, most drivers will be looking up, and probably behind the bus cursing it for being in the way - consider humour on the back to help calm them down ;)

RSS

Advertisments

DEPARTMENTS

Social Wine Club for Craft Wineries

Smartbrief

Report: Consumers want more protein, need more education

A majority of U.S.  -More

California Walnut Beet Carpaccio Flatbread
Jump start their appetites with this fabulous flatbread appetizer topped with beets, goat cheese, arugula and California Walnuts. For this and more great recipes, visit http://www.walnuts.org/food-professionals/trending-recipes/.

Vegetables take over dessert menus

Top pastry chefs in the U.S.  -More

Rising takeout demand drives new Mama Fu's footprint

Austin, Texas-based Mama Fu's Asian House debuted a smaller footprint unit focused on feeding a growing demand for takeout an -More

JOBS & CAREERS

Posting a job or finding a job starts here at FohBoh. Call us about special $25 posting packages to syndicate across all major jobs boards.

National News

Souplantation & Sweet Tomatoes Certified As Nation's Largest 'Green' Restaurant Chain

National Group Salutes Country's Only Large Restaurant Group to be 'Certified Green Restaurants®'

National Restaurant Association and EatStreet Release Online Ordering Guide

The National Restaurant Association and EatStreet have released a free educational guide focusing on online ordering and emerging restaurant technology trends.

Boyd's Coffee Launches Single-Cup Coffees For Retail And Foodservice

The coffees come in a variety of roast levels and include organic and Rainforest Alliance Certified™ options: French No. 6®, Red Wagon® Organic Coffee, Good Morning™, Hi-Rev® (delivers more caffeine), and Lost Lake™ Decaf Organic Coffee.

Arby's Announces Development Deals With New And Existing Franchisees

ARG recently sold 14 company-operated restaurants in Tampa, FL to Mosaic Investments, Inc. (Mosaic), a fully integrated investment firm based in Atlanta. In addition to remodeling existing locations slated to commence at the end of 2014, Mosaic has committed to build 13 new Arby's restaurants in the Tampa area over the next nine years.

Smoothie King Appoints Vice President Of Business Development To Drive Brand's Expansion Across The U.S.

Prior to joining Smoothie King, Bruno served as vice president of retail sales, operations and franchise development for Fannie May Fine Chocolates, a division of 1800Flowers.com, where he oversaw a $69.5 million retail division that included 100 corporate stores and 45 franchised stores.

CROWD FUNDING

If you are looking for capital to start or grow your restaurant, create the next 501c3, develop and launch the next app for the restaurant industry,or want to help your peers in some meaningful way, we want to know about it.

TED TALKS VIDEO

TED: Michel Laberge: How synchronized hammer strikes could generate nuclear fusion - Michel Laberge (2014)

Our energy future depends on nuclear fusion, says Michel Laberge. The plasma physicist runs a small company with a big idea for a new type of nuclear reactor that could produce clean, cheap energy. His secret recipe? High speeds, scorching temperatures and crushing pressure. In this hopeful talk, he explains how nuclear fusion might be just around the corner.

TED: Sarah Lewis: Embrace the near win - Sarah Lewis (2014)

At her first museum job, art historian Sarah Lewis noticed something important about an artist she was studying: Not every artwork was a total masterpiece. She asks us to consider the role of the almost-failure, the near win, in our own lives. In our pursuit of success and mastery, is it actually our near wins that push us forward?

TED: Matthew Carter: My life in typefaces - Matthew Carter (2014)

Pick up a book, magazine or screen, and more than likely you'll come across some typography designed by Matthew Carter. In this charming talk, the man behind typefaces such as Verdana, Georgia and Bell Centennial (designed just for phone books -- remember them?), takes us on a spin through a career focused on the very last pixel of each letter of a font.

TED: Jeremy Kasdin: The flower-shaped starshade that might help us detect Earth-like planets - Jeremy Kasdin (2014)

Astronomers believe that every star in the galaxy has a planet, one fifth of which might harbor life. Only we haven't seen any of them -- yet. Jeremy Kasdin and his team are looking to change that with the design and engineering of an extraordinary piece of equipment: a flower petal-shaped "starshade" positioned 50,000 km from a telescope to enable imaging of planets about distant stars. It is, he says, the "coolest possible science."

© 2014   Created by FohBoh.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service