Do vehicles wrapped in advertising sway your decision-making?

These days I see a lot of vehicles wrapped in advertising. You know, those public transportation buses going down the road or the VW bugs wrapped in Geek Squad advertising. I even see boats with wrap on the sports channels. I would like to know if this type of advertising works? When you see a semi covered with a hamburger and french fries, do you stop at the next McDonald's? If you see a van covered with Moe's, do you order Mexican for lunch? Does it take something this big to get your attention or does the old-style car topper like many companies use, still work?

Views: 3

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wrapped cars work, once you see it, advertising is done...you can't avoid looking and reading, right??
I wouldn't say it immediately "sways" me one way or the other, but I do notice those ads and every little bit counts. A good-to-great wrap costs from $1500-$3000+/- depending on size, color, vehicle type, etc... Also, they last a long time and leaves your vehicle unimpaired if installed properly by a pro. Compare that to direct mail, print ads, radio & TV and you'll find it to be much less expensive. However, it's more of a complement to other forms of marketing versus being the one and only source. Don't expect big returns from wraps, but it definitley wouldn't hurt.

Sorry, I have to cut this short. A Scion just drove by me with a hamburger wrap the size of a queen mattress and I haven't had dinner yet.

Cheers!
That's funny...great info... I've considered wrapping my VW (although at 170k miles, I'm not sure how long it will last)..but i think it makes a big branding punch...especially those who may have heard of your place, but haven't gotten there yet?

2 cents...what it's worth.
That's great! It is 6am here and all of a sudden I am hungry for a burger the size of my front door!
Thanks for the feedback.
I've seen a few of these vehicles around. We're all familiar with the buses, but I am wondering if thecars didn't get started somehow by the Oscar Mayer "weinermobile".

That's classic advertising.
They have not swayed me into purchasing from or visiting that particular company. In the case of food, however, the wrap may stimulate me to order pizza later, for instance. But I would still probably choose the chain I always visit.
In my opinion they both work but only as part of a fully intergrated advertising campaign. I Publish Today's Restaurant News and sell advertising to companies that supply restaurants in Florida and Texas. I remember getting a new ad from a company that provides bulk cooking oil systems and in the ad they had their logo. A few days later I saw a truck go by with their logo on it. If I had not seen the printed ad I would never have taken notice of the truck ad. The brand recognition was made between the two events.. Advertising works in many way that most people don't realize. I try to educate people as to how advertising works and the bottom line is that a good or a bad ad(within reason) can't hurt you.
What's funny is I have called the number for some of the ones I see and they say it's the wrong number or no one calls me back...

I think it's more of a subconscious thing.... when you think of that category- it's the 1st thing you think of... at least I do.
Like David, I wouldn't say it sways my decision either way but it's an effective tool for getting the brand in front of people.

From a consumer perspective, it's kind of a pain though when you see an eye-catching business on a car or van. We're driving so it's not like we can just write down the info we see. I've tried it. Not too safe and I can't even remember what those businesses are now!
I think Judy, Howard, and David nailed it (bottom to top, there). It's not likely to make someone say "Eh, a burger, I will go get one!" However, it's another "touch" that the advertiser gets -- and in some ways, you're captive.

Get stuck behind one in traffic? You'll see nothing but their advertisement until you change lanes, or one of you turns off the road. Pass one, and it's equally as effective as a billboard. And, from an ROI perspective, it's not that expensive to get your car completely done up - a few hundred dollars - either for your product, or your restaurant, bar, grill, hotel, or other business.

I personally run into Moe's, Steak Express, Quiznos, and Jimmy Johns vehicles all the time. I eat at Quiznos and Jimmy Johns all the time. Steak Express and Moes? Not so much.... Maybe their vehicles aren't as nice?
Quick tips for anyone considering doing a bus wrap - there are 2 audiences you're aiming at:
1. Pedestrians of the pavement
Key information like phone numbers need to be at eye height
Keep it simple. Repeat. Repeat. It's not a press ad, it's a moving target!
2. Other drivers
Unless they are in a truck, most drivers will be looking up, and probably behind the bus cursing it for being in the way - consider humour on the back to help calm them down ;)

RSS

Advertisments

DEPARTMENTS

Social Wine Club for Craft Wineries

Smartbrief

Chains make chicken the star of the menu

High beef and pork prices are making chicken the go-to meat more than ever, boosting wholesale prices for producers and spurr -More

Americans continue to eat less fish

The average American is consuming only 14.4 pounds of fish per year, down from the record high of 16.6 pounds in 2004, Ben Di -More

JOBS & CAREERS

Posting a job or finding a job starts here at FohBoh. Call us about special $25 posting packages to syndicate across all major jobs boards.

National News

Rita's Italian Ice Awards Area Development Agreement for Kansas

Rita's Italian Ice has awarded franchise and area development agreements for Kansas and the Kansas City area, which extends to the Missouri side of the city, to franchisees and local residents Jay Miller, Jeff Miller and Pat Reilly.

Restaurant Sales Bounced Back in March

Restaurant sales posted a solid gain in March, and bounced back completely from the recent soft patch. Eating and drinking place sales totaled $47.3 billion on a seasonally-adjusted basis in March, up 1.1 percent from February's upward-revised sales volume of $46.8 billion, according to preliminary figures from the U.S. Census Bureau.

McAlister's Deli Signs Franchise Agreement to Expand to Cleveland

McAlister's Deli announced it has signed a development agreement with an experienced multi-unit operator to develop three restaurants in the Cleveland, Ohio, area - the brand's first locations in the market.

Restaurant Trends - Growing And Emerging Concepts - Change and Activity April 16, 2014

Update from Restaurantchains.net on growing and emerging restaurant concepts

Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen, Inc. Announces CFO Departure in May

The company has commenced a search for Mr. Hope’s successor, reviewing both internal and external candidates. Mr. Hope will assist in the transition of duties to an interim CFO and will remain a consultant to the company through the summer.

CROWD FUNDING

If you are looking for capital to start or grow your restaurant, create the next 501c3, develop and launch the next app for the restaurant industry,or want to help your peers in some meaningful way, we want to know about it.

TED TALKS VIDEO

TED: Norman Spack: How I help transgender teens become who they want to be - Norman Spack (2013)

Puberty is an awkward time for just about everybody, but for transgender teens it can be a nightmare, as they grow overnight into bodies they aren't comfortable with. In a heartfelt talk, endocrinologist Norman Spack tells a personal story of how he became one of the few doctors in the US to treat minors with hormone replacement therapy. By staving off the effects of puberty, Spack gives trans teens the time they need. (Filmed at TEDxBeaconStreet.)

TED: Jennifer Senior: For parents, happiness is a very high bar - Jennifer Senior (2014)

The parenting section of the bookstore is overwhelming—it's "a giant, candy-colored monument to our collective panic," as writer Jennifer Senior puts it. Why is parenthood filled with so much anxiety? Because the goal of modern, middle-class parents—to raise happy children—is so elusive. In this honest talk, she offers some kinder and more achievable aims.

TED: David Brooks: Should you live for your résumé ... or your eulogy? - David Brooks (2014)

Within each of us are two selves, suggests David Brooks in this meditative short talk: the self who craves success, who builds a résumé, and the self who seeks connection, community, love -- the values that make for a great eulogy. (Joseph Soloveitchik has called these selves "Adam I" and "Adam II.") Brooks asks: Can we balance these two selves?

TED: David Sengeh: The sore problem of prosthetic limbs - David Sengeh (2014)

What drove David Sengeh to create a more comfortable prosthetic limb? He grew up in Sierra Leone, and too many of the people he loves are missing limbs after the brutal civil war there. When he noticed that people who had prosthetics weren’t actually wearing them, the TED Fellow set out to discover why — and to solve the problem with his team from the MIT Media Lab.

© 2014   Created by FohBoh.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service