So some of these numbers are generic/abstract/small sample math but it looks like the average blog on FOHBOH gets about 10% of the viewers to actually comment on it.

The really active blogs can get 20% to 25% of the viewers to actually comment on them.

Why do some comment and some just view?

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No Comment.
I am right there with you Carol. I am a noisy ones. However there are a lot of people on here that to respond/post that can put into words the thoughts that I have a lot better.

Though, because I know Andy (just from here) I do like his post's and love to put in my two cents worth as you can see.

There are a few people who have been here awhile that do post very good points/comments who are quiet. I suspect they are busy growing the business. I was active for awhile, but that was when I was off the road. I am back on, so I do not get time to respond like I used to.
Carol, thanks for the input. Perhaps we should rename Discussions to Ask a Question?

As for the blog links with no commentary, I agree, they're lame. We could make it a community policy that if you link to an article in a blog, then you need to say something about the article up front. Otherwise, deletion.

We also need to do a better job policing those people who post full articles without permission. I think members must see it so much on the Web, they don't know that it's wrong. Carol, if you have any interest in helping me police and manage the site for this... please let me know. The FohBoh team is pretty small right now and can't be online all the time, so sometimes we miss these things.
Always the intellectual, Jeffrey. I love it. Just discovered the Pareto Principle a couple of months ago. Tried it on the guys I work for and they looked at me like I had two heads or had lost the one I had. I guess the Fishbone Diagram didn't help any. Keep up the good work, I always enjoy your posts

Now to the topic at hand. It's kind of like a menu, 20% is responsible for 80%. This is my first post on this forum. Being a member of a group doesn't mean that you have to participate to belong. Some may be shy about commenting, feel that what they have to say is either unimportant or already said (perhaps, much like this comment). I've just returned to this site since my job takes up much of my energy and haven't had much to say. I've just finished reading two articles and comments that really spoke to me but I didn't respond (feeling stupid this evening). I feel like I do have something to offer on those topics it's just not happening tonight. I'm not sure the question is why do some comment and some don't but why do some? Comment that is. This should provoke some comments.
I think people may be intimidated. Whether it is by someones title, experience or the fear of feeling stupid, people don't want that feeling. At the same time I have heard that we have two ears and one mouth for a reason. Some of us just think that we need to use our mouth twice as much to make up the difference.

-People may be trying to learn and not teach.

-10% of the people do 90% of the work.

The cliches go on.......
Andy, you bring up a very interesting set of questions that we've been wondering about ourselves here at FohBoh. Recently I came across some great information from Forrester Research on Social Media that studied this very phenomenon. They called it the ladder of participation:

Creators = 12% (people who blog and create content)
Critics = 11% (people who comment)
Collectors = 7% (people who use rss feed readers or social bookmarking)
Joiners = 15% (people who create profiles and connect to each other)
Spectators = 23% (people who surf and read)
Inactives = 67% (people elsewhere living their lives)

The numbers add up to more than 100% because many fell into more than one category. So if the average blog post is getting 10% response, that's pretty close to the social networking standard. What's interesting now is to see what posts are getting the most views and the most comments... it tells us what members and lurkers are really interested in.
We should continue to encourage "newbies" that make their first post by engaging (commenting) on their blog/discussions they'll be more likely to post and/or comment again. The people engaged in the discussion here do a great job at that! I would guess that fohboh is one of the first SN experiences for most of the members here.
Does anybody find it interesting that all the usual suspects are the people that commented on this topic?

Also, It is absolutely an intimidation factor, or comfort zone issue for people. Just because it's the internet, there are people on this sight who are intimidated by the fact that their boss, co-workers, or friends are going to read this and judge them for their content. Remember, this is not an anonymous site, and not everyone on here has the education, experience, eloquence, courage etc... to comment or post.
I too find the line between blogs and discussions a bit blurred. My interpretation is that blogs are commentaries, much like an op-ed, that are open to but not dependent on response. I look to the discussion area to be more of a place to post questions and situations in hopes of getting answers and new ideas by way of response.
When I first joined this site I have to admit that I was quiet and basically 'took it all in'. Until I found people I knew and topics that I knew I had insight on.

I feel that most people will respond to a blog or discussion on here once they are comfortable with the content they are seeing or there is something that strikes them deep from within that pursuades them to respond or start a discussion.

Think about how quickly this site has grown...at first it was easy to keep tabs on what was going on. Now, I have to have the time to really dedicate to this as it has gotten more complex.

There isn't anything wrong with sitting back and taking it in. But think about how much better this site would be if EVERYONE actively participated the way some of us do!!

RSS

Advertisments

DEPARTMENTS

Social Wine Club for Craft Wineries

Smartbrief

Casual chains aim to take menus up a few notches

Casual-dining chains including Tony Roma's, Olive Garden, Carrabba's Italian Grill and Smokey Bones are getting creative with -More

Sikkimese Turmeric and Ginger Idaho® Potatoes
Enjoy a taste of the Himalayas with these flavorful cubed Idaho® Potatoes seasoned with garlic, ginger, turmeric, coriander and chile flakes. For this and more great recipes, visit foodservice.idahopotato.com/recipes.

Crumbs debuts the Crumbnut

Cupcake chain Crumbs Bake Shop is offering the Crumbnut, a croissant-doughnut combo product, in BJ's Wholesale Clubs in addit -More

Restaurant sales rebounded in March, report says

Restaurants saw same-store sales growth of 0.7% in March, the first increase since last November, as warmer weather melted wi -More

JOBS & CAREERS

Posting a job or finding a job starts here at FohBoh. Call us about special $25 posting packages to syndicate across all major jobs boards.

National News

Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen, Inc. Announces CFO Departure in May

The company has commenced a search for Mr. Hope’s successor, reviewing both internal and external candidates. Mr. Hope will assist in the transition of duties to an interim CFO and will remain a consultant to the company through the summer.

Fuddruckers Reenters New York State With Restaurant In Middletown

introduces its first company-operated New York State site today at 340 Route 211 East in Middletown, which is located in the Hudson Valley approximately 60 miles from Manhattan.

Giardino Gourmet Salads Announces Nine Consecutive Quarters Of Positive Comparable Sales

Giardino Gourmet Salads announced that it has experienced nine consecutive quarters of positive comparable sales after posting an eight percent increase throughout the first quarter of 2014.

Organic Claims Declining on US Restaurant Menus

According to Mintel Menu Insights, while 'organic' is still the leading ethical claim on restaurant menus, its usage declined 28% between Q4 2010-13.

The Habit Burger Grill Opens Fourth Utah Location In May

The Habit Burger Grill is opening its fourth Utah location on May 1st in Sandy, Utah. The California-based restaurant known for its popular Charburgers opened its first Utah location in Sugarhouse in 2013, and has since expanded to include three more locations.

CROWD FUNDING

If you are looking for capital to start or grow your restaurant, create the next 501c3, develop and launch the next app for the restaurant industry,or want to help your peers in some meaningful way, we want to know about it.

TED TALKS VIDEO

TED: Jennifer Senior: For parents, happiness is a very high bar - Jennifer Senior (2014)

The parenting section of the bookstore is overwhelming—it's "a giant, candy-colored monument to our collective panic," as writer Jennifer Senior puts it. Why is parenthood filled with so much anxiety? Because the goal of modern, middle-class parents—to raise happy children—is so elusive. In this honest talk, she offers some kinder and more achievable aims.

TED: David Brooks: Should you live for your résumé ... or your eulogy? - David Brooks (2014)

Within each of us are two selves, suggests David Brooks in this meditative short talk: the self who craves success, who builds a résumé, and the self who seeks connection, community, love -- the values that make for a great eulogy. (Joseph Soloveitchik has called these selves "Adam I" and "Adam II.") Brooks asks: Can we balance these two selves?

TED: David Sengeh: The sore problem of prosthetic limbs - David Sengeh (2014)

What drove David Sengeh to create a more comfortable prosthetic limb? He grew up in Sierra Leone, and too many of the people he loves are missing limbs after the brutal civil war there. When he noticed that people who had prosthetics weren’t actually wearing them, the TED Fellow set out to discover why — and to solve the problem with his team from the MIT Media Lab.

TED: Louie Schwartzberg: Hidden miracles of the natural world - Louie Schwartzberg (2014)

We live in a world of unseeable beauty, so subtle and delicate that it is imperceptible to the human eye. To bring this invisible world to light, filmmaker Louie Schwartzberg bends the boundaries of time and space with high-speed cameras, time lapses and microscopes. At TED2014, he shares highlights from his latest project, a 3D film titled "Mysteries of the Unseen World," which slows down, speeds up, and magnifies the astonishing wonders of nature.

© 2014   Created by FohBoh.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service