Today in MSN Cityguides, Nicolas Gilewicz wrote about several "Food Capitals" in the U.S. While I know he has to write an article short enough for surfer-attention-spans, it seems to be seriously lacking. In short, here are the cities he mentions (hyperlink to full article below):

Chili Capital - Cincinnati, OH
Burrito Capital - San Francisco, CA
Poultry Capital - Gainesville, GA
Corn Capital - Mendota, IL (challenged by Olivia, MN and Mitchell, SD)
Garlic Capital - Gilroy, CA
Blueberry Capital - Hammonton, NJ

He then throws a nod to the state of Texas, whose legislature has adorned various communities with "capital of..." notations including, Midland for Ostrich, Friona for Cheeseburgers and Lockhart for Barbeque. Lockhart for Barbe...(?) however you spell it ('que...'cue...) borders on the greatest hyperbole of all time. I've known many a town to claim such title. In an incredibly competitive and recipe- and regionally-diverse segment of our industry there's no way (sorry Lockhart) this can be true.

Gilroy for garlic is the only slam-dunk in the article. SF for burritos....? Seriously - maybe there are more Chipotles in SF but that doesn't make it the capital.

So here's my challenge - tell me where the "Capital(s)" of food are. Two categories: 1) where the best food comes from (e.g., Gilroy) and, 2) Where it's made best (like BBQ). I'll compile the results and post accordingly.

First vote in - Breaux Bridge, LA for (category 1) Crawfish Capital of the WORLD.

Tags: Capitals, Food, and

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gilroy, CA, for garlic...
Well as I sit in the WHITE PEKIN DUCK CAPITAL in northern Indiana where 14 million of the 24 million ducks are produced; Maple Leaf Farms 11 million in Milford, In and us; Culver Duck 3 million in Middlebury, In we are 2 of the 6 pekin duck producers in the U.S.A.. It use to be the LONG ISLAND DUCK from New York now it's the Indiana Duck. (some might call it the AFLAC DUCK!)
FYI duck consumption is 1/2 lb. per person anually. Also duck breast meat has HALF the FAT of chicken breast meat.
I competed in the BBQ state tournaments for 10 years and a member of the Kansas City BBQ Society.
Contact Ardie Davis and/or Carolyn Wells(the Julia Child of BBQ) and they will explain in detail about BBQ capitals. It depends on if it's brisket, pork, tri-tip, chicken or duck as to which is the capital, then as far as BBQ sauce there is vinegar base with mustard, tomatoe base sweet etc. and that each has its own region. or capital.
Any how contact these friendly people and you will learn anything and everything about BBQ guranteed.
Phone 816-765--5891 or 1-800-963-KCBS (5227). Also; KCBS@compuserve.com
Thanks Burt, great info. It sounds like you're outnumbered by ducks there in Indiana. I will defintely give Ardie and Carolyn a call...I'm imagining a cross-country trip to all the BBQ-meccas...that would be a great thing to experience - maybe I'll put something together!
Catfish - Belzoni, Mississippi (at least that's what it said on the side of the U-Haul trailer I passed)
Pekin Duck: Northern Indiana: Milford, In 12 million ducks Middlebury 3 million ducks =15 million National production is 24 million
Kennett Square in Penn. is the mushroon capital of the US.
Boca Raton, Florida, the capital of the Early Bird.
Early Bird? What's that taste like? :)

RSS

Advertisments

DEPARTMENTS

Social Wine Club for Craft Wineries

Smartbrief

Chains make chicken the star of the menu

High beef and pork prices are making chicken the go-to meat more than ever, boosting wholesale prices for producers and spurr -More

Americans continue to eat less fish

The average American is consuming only 14.4 pounds of fish per year, down from the record high of 16.6 pounds in 2004, Ben Di -More

JOBS & CAREERS

Posting a job or finding a job starts here at FohBoh. Call us about special $25 posting packages to syndicate across all major jobs boards.

National News

Rita's Italian Ice Awards Area Development Agreement for Kansas

Rita's Italian Ice has awarded franchise and area development agreements for Kansas and the Kansas City area, which extends to the Missouri side of the city, to franchisees and local residents Jay Miller, Jeff Miller and Pat Reilly.

Restaurant Sales Bounced Back in March

Restaurant sales posted a solid gain in March, and bounced back completely from the recent soft patch. Eating and drinking place sales totaled $47.3 billion on a seasonally-adjusted basis in March, up 1.1 percent from February's upward-revised sales volume of $46.8 billion, according to preliminary figures from the U.S. Census Bureau.

McAlister's Deli Signs Franchise Agreement to Expand to Cleveland

McAlister's Deli announced it has signed a development agreement with an experienced multi-unit operator to develop three restaurants in the Cleveland, Ohio, area - the brand's first locations in the market.

Restaurant Trends - Growing And Emerging Concepts - Change and Activity April 16, 2014

Update from Restaurantchains.net on growing and emerging restaurant concepts

Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen, Inc. Announces CFO Departure in May

The company has commenced a search for Mr. Hope’s successor, reviewing both internal and external candidates. Mr. Hope will assist in the transition of duties to an interim CFO and will remain a consultant to the company through the summer.

CROWD FUNDING

If you are looking for capital to start or grow your restaurant, create the next 501c3, develop and launch the next app for the restaurant industry,or want to help your peers in some meaningful way, we want to know about it.

TED TALKS VIDEO

TED: Norman Spack: How I help transgender teens become who they want to be - Norman Spack (2013)

Puberty is an awkward time for just about everybody, but for transgender teens it can be a nightmare, as they grow overnight into bodies they aren't comfortable with. In a heartfelt talk, endocrinologist Norman Spack tells a personal story of how he became one of the few doctors in the US to treat minors with hormone replacement therapy. By staving off the effects of puberty, Spack gives trans teens the time they need. (Filmed at TEDxBeaconStreet.)

TED: Jennifer Senior: For parents, happiness is a very high bar - Jennifer Senior (2014)

The parenting section of the bookstore is overwhelming—it's "a giant, candy-colored monument to our collective panic," as writer Jennifer Senior puts it. Why is parenthood filled with so much anxiety? Because the goal of modern, middle-class parents—to raise happy children—is so elusive. In this honest talk, she offers some kinder and more achievable aims.

TED: David Brooks: Should you live for your résumé ... or your eulogy? - David Brooks (2014)

Within each of us are two selves, suggests David Brooks in this meditative short talk: the self who craves success, who builds a résumé, and the self who seeks connection, community, love -- the values that make for a great eulogy. (Joseph Soloveitchik has called these selves "Adam I" and "Adam II.") Brooks asks: Can we balance these two selves?

TED: David Sengeh: The sore problem of prosthetic limbs - David Sengeh (2014)

What drove David Sengeh to create a more comfortable prosthetic limb? He grew up in Sierra Leone, and too many of the people he loves are missing limbs after the brutal civil war there. When he noticed that people who had prosthetics weren’t actually wearing them, the TED Fellow set out to discover why — and to solve the problem with his team from the MIT Media Lab.

© 2014   Created by FohBoh.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service